repairing a hard drive with Disk Utility erased my HD... WHY?!?!?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by j37V, Jun 26, 2008.

1. j37V macrumors member

j37V

is there any way i can recover the files on my HD after a failed attempt at repairing the disk?
    there were tons of family photos like from my sisters graduation, some family trips, and other random stuff... :(is there any way? what can i do?
    the advice is much appreciated.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you have a backup? Repairing the filesystem isn't something I would even consider without having a backup.

3. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

yes i have a backup of my internal HD... a clone... with CCC perfectly bootable.
    why? what should i do to get them back?

4. 6mt15 macrumors member

Not sure I understand...you have a backup, so whats the problem? Can you not just restore to your last backup? Even if it's not a time machine backup, you should be able to just clean install the OS, and then copy the files you really want from your backup.

5. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

no i wasnt clear...
    the drive that was erased was one of my externals... it had the pics and everything but my mac's backup is on another external HD.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've used Data Rescue II - Mac:

http://www.prosofteng.com/

and it worked well. You can download a trial version that won't recover anything but will tell you if there's anything to recover. Then you decide whether to pay or not.

There may be many others -- I don't know. But I got my money's worth out of this one.

7. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

hey that app's working... its really slow though... i started it up and told it to do the thorough scan option(im guessing its the slowest one because it IS thorough and the drive IS 250GB) and its working. i stopped it and it showed that a few files were detected. i started it up again so now its running.

talk to ya in 3.5 hours!!

im guessing time is the real price to pay.(besides the money for th app.)

thanks again for the posts!

8. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

heyy me again. I didnt use the data rescue... i shut it off cause it was taking too long... after one hour it said it still had 3.2 hours left and I couldnt leave my mac on over night.

i did try boomerang... ti took bout 2 hours... i tried on every option, partition, media, deleted files, volume recover, and there was nothing in it... no files at all... is this the end?

9. Jestered macrumors 6502

You said Data Rescue was working.... Why don't you use it? Apparently those files aren't that important to you.

10. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

no, no, they are!
    it was just taking too long.
    im trying with boomerang again cause it now is finding files... and if that dont work ill do data rescue.
    what your experience with Data rescue II?

11. siorai macrumors 6502

So a few hours of time (which you could easily spend not at the computer watching it chug away) is too much to ask for when it comes to obviously irreplaceable photos? Interesting...

12. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

DRII is pretty good. Not perfect, but it's bailed me out in a pinch.

If nothing works, and you've written off the data, try DiskWarrior. It can repair a drive while keeping data intact, but of course, it still might wipe out some files. So try recovering them, first.

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

DRII is the only way to go when you've got a seriously screwed up disk and you really want your data. It has twice, for me, retrieved data from disks that were completely unrecoverable using any of the other tools on the market (which I tried). It also recovered almost all the files from a user who accidentally trashed his Documents folder. No filenames in that case, but that's not much of a complaint.

Yes, it can take a long time to run. That's what last-ditch data recovery requires.

You could also send the disk to a data recovery service, and they can almost certainly recover the files, but that can run into the thousands of dollars.

14. everettmarshall macrumors member

I'll second, third, and fourth DRII.

It takes a long time because it is scavenging every bit of data on your disk for RECOVERY, not REPAIR.

Be patient and let it do its thing. It is your only hope unless you want to spend a few thousand dollars for a clean room service.

15. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

well i tried Boomerang again and it found i think all the files so its very nice. i cant retrieve them yet cause i havn't payed but it has a feature that u can save your progress so I dont have to go through the 3 or so hours it took me...

just in case... i could try usin DR II to get a sort of 2nd opinion.
    anyone think this is smart? just in case that wipes out the progress from the other app?

and no i dont plan on sending it away... I have a friend that sent away a 500GB drive for recovery... cost him $800 +S&H and only recovered bout 1/5 of his data and the drive was never 100%. suct for him and dont plan on it happening to me.

16. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

If the files are that important to you then just pay the piper and get them, quit b.s.ing around with other programs. The longer your hard drive runs the more data gets overwritten and the higher your risk is for a crash or other things.

If the data is that important just pay the money, get the data, save it in a safe place, burn 10 copies of it, and consider this a lesson learned. $199 is a small price to pay for getting back PRICELESS memories.

FYI, most retail services START at $259 for data rescue, which can easily ballon up to $1,000+ depending on the state of the hard drive and how much effort is required to try to rescue the data. Consider $199 a bargain, especially since you will be able to reuse that program in case any future disasters happen on your computer or your friends computers (and charge 'em for it!) where as professional data rescue firms will charge you more for one time use.

In the future, always have multiple backups of irreplaceable files.

I keep all my files on my iMac, my 500GB WD external hard drive, and the REALLY important stuff like family photos, old documents from school I want to keep, etc. I keep burned onto DVDs and stored away in a safe place as well. I tend to burn at least two DVDs on different media (like different brands or types) so that in case one of those fails I got it backed up.

Lastly, with MobileMe jacking up their online storage to 20GB I will also be storing all the irreplaceable files in the cloud as well (I have maybe 12 GB of family photos and maybe 1GB of miscellaneous files that I would like to keep forever).

It all sounds elaborate, but if you do it on a fairly regular basis it really only takes an extra couple minutes (to burn a 2nd copy, for example, or copy and paste to the external HD).

17. j37V thread starter macrumors member

j37V

i dunno if you've read the thread but everything you just said ive agreed with... (cept the other app thing cause i just asked.) so sorry for my trying to reassure myself
    thanx for the info... EVERYONE.
    :)