repairing a scratch on my macbook pro's screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wickedking94, Feb 25, 2011.

1. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

So out of nowhere, there is a noticeable scratch right in the middle of the glass that makes up my macbook pro's screen. its a very shallow scratch, but it does distort the image. its about a centimeter in length, I know thats not much, but I do a lot of image and video editing so having any imperfections is un acceptable.

Is there any commercial product for buffing out scratches on computer displays, or could i use something for car scratch removal like a turtle wax car scratch buffing kit?

I would really like a cheap solution, this Macbook is only 8 months old.

thanks.

2. willfurnell macrumors member

willfurnell

I'm not sure but I wouldn't recommend using those car cleaning products, they will probably do more harm than good :eek:

3. wickedking94 thread starter macrumors 6502

what about a kit i found thats designed to repair scratches on ipod screens?

4. willfurnell macrumors member

willfurnell

I wouldn't use anything that isn't used for its original purpose. Remember that all the screens are not the same, even if they look like they are, slight differences in the screen could make huge differences when using the products.

I am not 100% sure though, but as you say it is only 8 months old, so you wouldn't want to damage it even more.

5. wickedking94 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. bocaboy macrumors newbie

I know this will sound strange, but try using a pencil eraser. Make sure you clean it first by rubbing away the top layer on a piece of paper. Depending on how deep the scratch is, it seems to either make it go away, or clean out the microscopic dirt that makes it visible. I used it on my 15" mid-2010 MBP with an anti-glare screen and it worked like a champ.

You can check out another string where this technique was successfully used at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1223899