Repairing a water damaged phone!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PowerFullMac, Apr 4, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hi, I just got a Sony Ericsson W800i for free! And for good reason, too: its broken. Its liquid damaged, been in water for about 10 seconds I was told. The screen is fine (looks fine anyway) but when I try to turn it on nothing happens! No vibrate, no lighting up, nothing.

Any suggestions?

2. 119576 Guest

Throw it out?

Alternatively; try a new battery.
    If that doesn't work, then you COULD try replacing the whole inner workings of the phone, but it's not worth the effort.

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I tryed replacing the battery and it didnt work... :( OK then, I guess I will just accept its broken and save for my 3G iPhone.

I suppose I could keep it on my so if I get mugged I give them a broken phone :D

4. 119576 Guest

Haha, that's a really good idea. :eek:

5. YeahIKnow macrumors member

It's not dead, at least not till you've given up on it..

How long ago was it in the water? If it's only been a day or three then there's still hope - modern electronics are really rugged compared to the crap from just a few years back.
    Thoroughly shake it to remove any water drops.

USe a hair dryer on high "wind" but low heat to blow out any moisture. Point the airflow into the battery compartment. Try to force some air into it but DON'T STRAIN THE HAIRDRYER! ('cause if it breaks your girlfriend will kill you!)

Plug the phone in to see if it works, usually it does once the battery is charged.

If it doesn't then give it a day or two hanging up somewhere where there is good air circulation.

I've brought many phones back to life doing this. Once after a phone had been accidently left in a glass of orange juice for an hour and once for a mate who only after I fixed it did he tell me that it had fallen into a toilet. Wanker.

One thing you shouldn't to is waste too much time trying to fix it - you got it for free anyway. Give it a go though, if only to stop it adding to the landfill problem.

Good luck! :D

6. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It was a long time ago :(

I guess there is no point doing that stuff.

Still, I'll keep it for my previous idea :D

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

So you're going to carry around two phones? It's just more weight in ur pocket.

8. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

So is that a water damaged Sony Ericsson W800i in your pocket or are you happy to see me? :p

Seriously, the phone would make a decent paper weight...

9. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

No, dont be silly, I wont carry around 2 phones! I already carry around 2, so it would be 3 phones! :D