Repairing an apple keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bmastudent, Dec 13, 2009.

1. bmastudent macrumors member

Howdy folks,

I recently got an apple bluetooth keyboard and the spacebar seems to not register when I press on the right side. Is there a good way to rebalance this or clean out the key somehow? The thing looks pretty solid so I don't know if I can take it apart. Can the key be pulled back and reattached? If yes, how?

2. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

If you bought it "recently" as you say, then it should still be covered under warranty. Take it to your local Apple store and have a Genius evaluate it. They will replace it if it appears to be a product defect, or they can give you advice to maintain it better if you did something to harm it (ie full of food crumbs).

3. Buzz Bumble Guest

If it's still new enough to be within the warranty period, then take it back. Keyboards and mice are basically not worth repairing - they're throw-away devices.

It's difficult to see how you could get food crumbs / fluff under the keys of the aluminium keyboards. It's more likely that the key itself has broken underneath on one end.

Technically you could pop the key off, but like laptop keys (which they are) they are very easy to break when doing so and not as easy to get back on as the older full-height keyboards.