Repairing an iPod Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yellowplum, Jun 4, 2012.

1. yellowplum macrumors newbie

I just picked up an audio jack to repair an iPod touch and also replace the damaged digitiser. My issues began after I replaced the jack, the screen was functioning previously up until I soldered the replacement jack onto the board.

Once this had occurred the screen now just remains white. I have googled the typical responses but it seems this also occurs when you don't attempt a repair.

I don't have a problem ordering a new LCD screen to replace if I have managed to damage something (which I was very careful not to) although I also read that you can damage the logic board because of soldering.

Any ideas what it could be and how to determine what I have actually done?

2. thegreati macrumors regular

Sounds like the device either needs a hard reboot (hold the power and home button for 10+ seconds until device reboots), needs a new LCD, or something has shorted on the Logic Board.

A common issue I have found if the LCD is damaged, you will either clearly see damage to it, or the LCD will become inverted. Are you experiencing any of those?

3. yellowplum thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been trying the hard reboot a few times today to no avail. I did also plug it to my MBP and reset it (while this worked it didn't display anything on the screen). It seems I can use the iPod but nothing displays on the screen. I even managed a picture taking noise.

I think I might have an idea as to how/what I did to cause this to happen. When I was repairing the iPod I was unable to actually turn the device off because of the damage to the digitiser. Hence I just took it apart with power still going to the LCD. This may have caused the problem?

I have no issue replacing the LCD, I just hope that is all the problem is and nothing more on the logic board.

Any other suggestions?