Repairing an rMBP yourself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roharia, Dec 15, 2012.

1. roharia macrumors newbie

So I got liquid on mine, tried to dry it out. Everything works except the charging. If I plug it in it says "plugged on not charging" and I basically use it only as a desktop right now. Everything else I have tested works so the machine is not a lost cause I feel. AppleCare obviously doesn't cover my ******** mistakes so that is out of the question unfortunately. Is there a way once inside the case to TRY to replace the battery? Many may disagree with me as to replacing that, but I don't have a lot of options considering everything Is soldered on. If even possible how would I go about changing the battery out? This is basically my last option to even possibly save it.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The battery is glued to the top case, so it would all need to be replaced. But honestly chances are, there is nothing wrong with the battery. You'd be better off taking it into an Apple store or AASP and asking what needs to be replaced. It's probably going to need a Logic board.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I don't think you ruined your battery. If you disconnect it from the charger, does it work at all? You may have shorted something that charges the battery, which would call for a logic board replacement.