Repairing Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by integrat.ethis, Jan 31, 2009.

1. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I've had little luck with getting uniform backlighting on the LED Cinema Displays, and after my second exchange, Apple wants to start taking a look at my display before I exchange again. Unfortunately I live a long way away from any Apple Stores, so driving up to one isn't really an option.

But in any case, getting a good display seems to be somewhat of a lottery - I've been wondering if perhaps a repair is a better option. I'm going to be moving to a city with an Apple store later this year - since that will fall within my 1 year warranty, do you think they'd repair my display later in the year? And can the ACDs even be repaired, or is it more of a replacement?

Thanks.

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

they might exchange the display with a refurbished unit perhaps if they go through the 'repair' process ( byremoving the display from the hinges and placing a new one on the display mount)

otherwise they have been known to physically repair the display, by removing the LCD inside in the enclosure (similar to iMac and MacBook/MBPs lcd display replacements)

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

No, they give you a new/refurbished one. Then they send your 'broken' one off to have the LCD replaced and any other issues fixed, then reboxed to become a refurb.

4. integrat.ethis thread starter macrumors regular

So in other words no matter if I choose an exchange or repair, I'd have basically the same chance to get a good one or an uneven one?

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sort of. :eek:

Refurb products are typically given a thorough round of tests to pass before being released. Apple at least does this with their computers :), and hopefully do the same with their other products, including the monitors. ;)

It will depend on how detailed the testing is.