Repairing dead logic boards

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donANT, Dec 17, 2012.

1. donANT macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Glad to have finally registered on this helpful site! I've been reading through posts here for quite some time. Lately I've been reading up on fixing broken logic boards but am not too sure where to start. I'm not even familiar with using a Multimeter which I am sure I have to learn.

I have a couple of non-functional logic boards right now that I'd like to start learning on. Before I start ordering stuff I just want to make sure I actually order the right tools. For example, I would assume I'd need a special Multimeter for these kinds of tasks? I read some very helpful posts from Rossman and Dadioh here on the forums. I'm hoping someone experienced with soldering/replacing fuses/pin-pointing what needs to be replaced on the board can help me out here and point me to the correct guides that would teach me how to do all of this from scratch.

Could you guys please let me know what tools I'd need to purchase to continue and also what I should start learning first? (I would assume using a Multimeter would be first) but is there a special Multimeter for these smaller chips on the logic board?

Right now I have a dead A1260 board which does not power on at all. The magsafe does not even show a green light. I've swapped out the Left I/O board and still the same thing so I'd assume its an issue with the actual logic board shorting out somewhere? Please forgive me if I am asking for too much here... Thank you guys very much in advance!!!

-Tony

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd start by inspecting the board with some sort of magnification and looking for corroded, damaged, missing or burned parts.

A multimeter would be useful for basics, but with something like a logic board it may not show you much. If you do buy one, I'd suggest a Fluke 87, I use one all the time at work and it's one of my favorites.

3. donANT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks T5! Well, one some other boards I have I've found corrosion and cleaned it out. This one board that had a spill on it looks extremely clean (weird) but it won't power on at all. No light on the magsafe, so I would assume it has a bad fuse/shortage somewhere. This is the first one I want to try to pin-point and fix.

I examined the board closely with a magnify glass and don't see anything out of the norm. So I would assume I'd have to start poking a multimeter at it? I have no experience using a Multimeter... is the Fluke good for beginners? I have a cheaper Multimeter and for some reason I just cant get a proper reading on anything... the numbers jump all over the place, unless I am using it the wrong way. Kindly awaiting your response. Thanks!

----------

Just checked the Fluke 87 and they run around $300-500... is there anything cheaper that I could use? I'm just beginning so anything that would help me understand how to test power on the board.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I dont want to dispel your hopes and ambitions, however your going to need a lot more than a Fluke 87, which is classed as a basic multimeter to make effective repairs at component level on a Logic Board.

With the right circuit diagrams you will be able to identify fuses and test points etc, however without the right equipment and training it will be difficult to identify the failed component. Once identified the component(s) will need careful removal and replacement this in itself is a highly skilled task. Technicians in my company go through several training schools prior to being allowed to work at component level.

I am not suggesting that an effective repair is not possible, however you will be lucky to do so without some level of training and reasonable test equipment. I would look for a local electronics club, they will be able to offer guidance and likely have some fair test equipment. Practise soldering as there is no substitute, too much heat, too little will bring complications, even the correct removal of failed components is an acquired skill. In this case practise really does make perfect.