Repairing Disc With a Different Install DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by forcefieldkid, Apr 3, 2010.

1. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    This is more out of curiosity and not because there's a problem of any kind.

I don't have the install/restore discs for my Black Macbook, but I do have a retail copy of the operating system that came pre-installed (Leopard) which I bought for a different Mac. If there ever comes a time when I need to run disc utility without booting into the system, would I be able to boot to that retail disc and use Disc Utility there? Or would it have to be the specific discs for the machine?

I am planning on finding the restore discs for this machine, but it would be nice to know if this was possible or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will not be possible, as those restore DVDs are machine specific. You can get replacement DVDs for your MB via Apple or buy the SL Upgrade DVD and use that.

3. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

No, what I mean is that I have a black Leopard retail disc that I'd bought previously, I never registered it so could I boot to that on the Macbook and use Disc Utility through that, or would I need to use/find the specific discs for this machine.

Thanks for the quick reply too!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If the install disk is retail version, then you can use it for installing as well if you want

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I misunderstood.

You can use retail Installation DVDs for what you want to do, also there is no registering involved, so in theory you can use a retail DVD as much as you want.

6. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, okay thanks man thats good to know!

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can run Disk Utility from any install disk, no matter is it retail or Mac specific. For installing you need retail or install disk that came with your Mac because only they include the drivers you need

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But I (and others) could not even boot from restore DVDs that were meant for other Macs.

Or is that over now?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmmm, you may be right, I don't know. I always thought you can boot from one and run e.g. Disk Utility but you can't install because it has no drviers for you Mac.

OP has retail version of Leopard so he should have no problems though