Repairing Disk for Boot Camp...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlecJenx, Apr 11, 2009.

1. AlecJenx macrumors member

I searched around for a topic like this for a while, and didn't find anything, so don't hurt me hahahah.
    I have been running the Windows 7 Beta via VMWare Fusion since its release, and I recently decided to start running it via Boot Camp because of my lack of RAM (1GB). So I went to partition the disk, and was given the message:

"Verification failed. This disk could not be partitioned.
    Use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

So I go to Disk Utility, and "Repair Disk" is unavailable. In the instructions it says to Verify the disk if Repair is unavailable. So I clicked Verify and off it goes, until this came up,

"First Aid failed
    Disk Utility stopped verifying 'Macintosh HD' because the following error was encountered:
    Filesystem verify or repair failed."

In the details of the verify, I saw that it said,

"Invalid volume file count
    It should be 795243 instead of 795244
    Invalid volume directory count
    It should be 197010 instead of 197009
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed."

My question is where do I go from here?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Insert your Mac disc 1, restart and hold "C." Go past the language screen and look in the menu at the top of the screen for Utilities. Open Disk Utility, select the Macintosh HD or whatever the hard drive's name is, then click Repair. If the repair operation is successful, close Disk Utility, go to the Installer menu in the upper left, quit the installer and restart. If it fails, you could try the same repair operation with Disk Warrior or the TechTools Deluxe disc if you bought AppleCare for your computer. The TTD disc can be burned from an image downloadable off the Apple Support Page with an eligible computer's serial number. If it STILL fails, you will probably need to do an archive & install or erase & install.

BUT I'm expecting the Disk Repair operation to fix it just fine. Just make sure you're using the gray OS disc that came with that specific computer or a retail disc.

3. AlecJenx thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it but I followed your instructions, and it seemed like it worked.
    It said that the disk had been repaired in the nice green text hahah.
    But when I went to partition again in Boot Camp after I rebooted, the same thing happened. I opened up Disk Utility, tried to verify the disk, then it said that "the volume header needs minor repairs."
    Any idea on where to go from here?

4. AlecJenx thread starter macrumors member