Repairing disk permission advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi everybody,
    I've had my iMac about six weeks now and am really getting used to not having to perform routine maintenance on it, unlike my old PC.
    It's running fine, I upgraded to 10.5.2 when it came out, no problems.
    Anyway, I'm of the opinion that, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I recently read on one of these forums that it's a good idea to repair disk permissions after an upgrade. Is this true? Is repairing disk permissions something that should be done on a monthly basis, maybe? I like not having to do the routine maintenance, but I don't want to wait for a huge problem to develop before I do anything. Any advice on this?
    On this subject, let me make sure I know how to do it. I go to Applications in Finder, open Utilities, open Disk Utility, click on the Macintosh HD, ad there are two buttons of concern, Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permissions. I guess I would push each button in that order, Verify first and Repair second.
    Sorry for the length of this, just want to take proper care of my wonderful machine. Thanks,
    Morod

2. mediumofmeaning macrumors member

yeah, some people recommend it. do you have to? nah. still recommended.

now i'm no 'puter jeanyus but i'd recommend just grabbing a copy of something like cocktail (http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.php) which can be set to handle permissions repairs on a set schedule decided by you.

i'm sure someone will give a post on the inner-working of permission repair and its virtues, so if you're interested it'll come up or just use google.

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the info, medium!
    Reading your response (and the lack of responses from others), I am surmising that repairing disk permissions is not considered "routine maintenance", so I will not do it unless circumstances warrant it.
    Morod

4. mediumofmeaning macrumors member