Repairing Disk Permissions

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Rhobes, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hello-

I recently installed updated drivers for my Epson printer and scanner. After rebooting I repaired permissions noting that almost all that were repaired had Epson associated with it, scanner or printer.
    After verifying the disk it says all OK. For fun, I repaired permissions again & noticed all the repairs where, as far as I could see, the same. I would have thought there would have been "None" to repair.

After a day, I go to use the printer & there is no response. I delete it from the System Pref's Printers & Scanners) and add it back. As soon as I add it back I get a pop up saying the software has been incorrectly installed and would I like to repair it? I say yes. So, it automatically "repairs permissions" and the printer works now. Whats with that? The repaired permissions, once again looked identical to the previous repairs.

I installed more new software today, two new apps. I repaired permissions after each item after the reboot (someone told me it's a good idea to do). Again for both new apps I see the same list of repaired permissions, almost all Epson, image capture (used with the scanner) and early on, some Safari permissions in the repaired list.

Why is the repaired permissions always the same list? Are they not really repaired and come back after every reboot & hence have to be repaired? :rolleyes:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.
    Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes