Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
I've purchased an iPhone in China. Now, about 7 months later, the camera broke and will not focus. I've tried all common remedies and it seems to me it can only be a hardware fault.

I took it to an Apple premium reseller (no Apple Stores in Denmark) and he said they could only take in and repair iPhones from EU and US, and told me to go the nearest Apple Store in Sweden (which luckily only takes an hour from where I live, albeit an expensive train ride), as they will be able to repair it, or most likely replace it.

My question is not "what kind of ******** is this?", but rather "can Apple repair a foreign iPhone within the 1 year warranty?" or am I going to pay for it, along with train tickets for delivery and pickup of the phone?

frazzm737

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
As I understand it, the Apple warranty is only good in the country or region (such as EU) where the phone was purchased. Contact Apple to be sure.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
As I understand it, the Apple warranty is only good in the country or region (such as EU) where the phone was purchased. Contact Apple to be sure.

See, I thought that too, but the Apple supporter said "where does it say that?" and then said that my Chinese iPhone camera was serviceable in Sweden, and could be covered by warranty.

Interesting...

Last edited:

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I'd personally get on the phone to Apple directly and see what they have to say on the matter. There's a discussion on the Apple Forums about this, but people seem to be having different experiences.

I've had both a US and a UK iPhone repaired in the Netherlands without any problems, inside and outside of the one year warranty.

Laai

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
See, I thought that too, but the Apple supporter said "where does it say that?" and then said that my Chinese iPhone camera was serviceable in Sweden, and could be covered by warranty.

Interesting...
Your camera is serviceable without any issues. The difference between models is the frequency they use in regards to the LTE networks. Cameras are the same on all models and since Apple Stores can replace cameras without having to replace entire devices, you can get it fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.