Repairing Macbook Pro Mid 2010 Pics! (Liquid damage)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hally231, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Hally231 macrumors member

Right, i have a macbook pro 13" Mid 2010 which got liquid damaged! As the warranty is now voided i have opened up the machine and can see visible damage to the board. The HD/Ram/Optical Drive/Battery are all clean - luckily the liquid didn't reach them. I have knowledge of repairing macs and have owned over 3 Mac Pros all needing logic board replacements.

My question is - Shall i pay $100 for a Mac certified company to 'diagnose' the problem? My friend is picking me up to go to the store in 3 hours time and dont know if it is worth going as i can see damage to the logic board so i know that needs replacing. I just don't want to order a new logic board and fit it myself and then it still doesn't work! I have attached a photo of the majority of damage to the board.

Also i will need to wait several days the store to check the laptop and it is about 1 hour drive for me to pick it up when ready.

Please can i have your advise? x

http://tinypic.com/r/2h6vbz5/7

2. Hally231 thread starter macrumors member

Repairing Macbook Pro Mid 2010 Pics! (Liquid damage)

I have a 2 month old liquid damaged (yes i know i am an idiot) macbook pro 13 mid 2010. Upon inspecting the machine inside taking out virtually every hardware component the only visible damage noticeable is parts on the logic board where corrosion has happened (see pic). Because the liquid was gel it is really easy to see where it got to inside the machine with 99% of it in-between the keys.

At the moment the laptop is COMPLETELY DEAD with no signs of life. Do you reckon buying a brand new logic board will fix the problem and bring the laptop back to life? As mentioned the battery/hard drive/optical drive etc did not get any gel on.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2h6vbz5&s=7

Thanks very much for your time - I really do appreciate it!

3. LikuidMetal macrumors regular

LikuidMetal

I think your better off buying a new MBP. You really will not know ow extensive the damage had spread, and that doesn't look like corrosion, more like a serious water damage/burn. Not sure how much a new board would cost, or you may get lucky if it's under warranty and it wouldn't hurt to check if it's covered. My MBP 13 screen was damaged and they covered it free of charge.

4. Hally231 thread starter macrumors member

hi

Hi, thanks for your advise - Ive located a brand new board which is about $600. A fair price! I dont know what other *extensive damage* there could be other than the cabling which im 99% certain are fine - if not then a bottom case replacement would be needed.

The serious water damage mark is good in 1 way isnt it because it explains why the laptop isnt showing any signs of life?

Thanks

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Did it go through the keyboard/trackpad? If so, you may need a new topcase.

6. zapro macrumors newbie

I'd just clean it!

Usually if you haven't got it powered on for too long, nothing is fried.

Take out the logic board and clean it with a toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol. Wash the board good with deionised water after that and then chuck it in you oven for 2-3 hours at 100 degrees C.

Usually that fixes the problem, unless something is badly corroded.

Some times i need to remove chips to clean out under them and resolder them, since the solder is etched by the liquid.

But try washing the board, it won't hurt anything, i can tell you that for sure. Even the factory washes the boards after production.

// Per.

7. vant macrumors 65816

You are going to hate this, but you are much better off with a new MBP.

Sell your liquid damaged one, and take more caution.

The reason is, for $600 you aren't even guaranteed a fix. The magsafe board might be damaged from short-circuiting, the keyboard might be damaged, who knows. Sell your MBP for a few hundred and use that to buy a completely new (or refurbished) one.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

You could try using a non conducting liquid to clean the board with.