Repairing MBP, how do I know which model display I have (A1260)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parker770, Apr 5, 2010.

  1. parker770 macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2010
    I was recently given a Macbook Pro A1260. The bezel is cracked on both sides near the bottom, causing the laptop to be unusable without being very awkward.

    My buddy initially contacted AppleCare to have it repaired, and they refused to cover it and quoted him an outrageous amount to fix. That combined with the fact that he is not a DIY'er in any way, he decided just to upgrade to a new Unibody instead.

    The laptop has been sitting around unused since, and still works 100% except for the cracked bezel. So, I did a little research and discovered that I could just replace the bezel with a second hand unit, as opposed to replacing the entire display unit that Apple does, and offered to buy it from him.

    Well, we haggled on price for a while(I wanted to be fair, but not overpay him for it), but never were able to come to an agreement. Then just the other day he told me that I could have the MBP for free. Hell of a deal, I know :D

    I have read people on here warning folks to stay away from ebay, so consider me warned. It seems to be the best place to buy reasonably priced used OEM parts for these computers.

    Keep in mind, the computer was free to me, and I just want it working 100%, it already has some scratches and dents, so aesthetics are of little concern to me.

    So I have been looking for a replacement bezel and display housing on ebay, and it seems that they have a couple of different variants depending on what manufacturer of display you have, ie chi mei, LG-Philips, and Samsung.

    The ads state that the bezel from the Chi Mei will not work on the LG-Philips, and vice versa. Is this correct?

    How do I determine who manufactured my display?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. parker770 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2010
    Ok I opened her up and found that the display is an AU Optronics B154PW04.

    So one bezel specifically states that its for the chi mei, whereas the other I guess is for the rest of them? Which bezel do I want, the chi mei or the other one?

    I am assuming that since it does not say "chi mei" on the lcd, that the other one that they describe as not being for the chi mei is the one I want.

    Anyone know for sure?

Share This Page