Repairing my 24" LED Cinema Display - Any Thoughts/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mgartner0622, Apr 13, 2011.

1. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello-
    I just got back from the Genius Bar regarding my 24" LED Cinema Display.
    The genius basically just took a quick look, punched in the serial number, and said I need to pay $398.00 for a flat rate repair. I did not oblige to this, and thought I could repair it myself, as I am a A+ certified computer technition.
    The problem is, Cinema Displays are not my thing. I have two thoughts on what it could be:

1. The Logic Board inside the Display as suggested by the Genius. When the display is plugged in, it charges my MacBook Pro, and that's all. It does not appear as a USB hub in system profiler, and the iSight camera and speakers are not utilized or even detected by both my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini.

2. The Power Supply...
    It might be this, however since the unit charges my MBP i'm not sure about it. Other than the charging, the unit gets otherwise no power.

I'm going to open it up later and inspect for blown capacitors, burnt or damaged areas, ect. I'll post if I find anything.
    Thanks!

2. c7aea macrumors regular

I did a quick google search and it looks like the ACD logic boards are relatively inexpensive. Just over $100.
    For a MBP that flat rate is a great thing, but in your case your probably better buying the part and repairing it yourself. I would do like you said, open it up 1st and inspect for damage. Make sure the board is getting power like it should etc...