repairing my macbook pro late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cindyjj, Dec 5, 2015.

1. cindyjj macrumors regular

1. Will upgrading to yosemite on macbook pro late 2011 cause my itunes library to erase?

2. Will upgrading to Yosemite repair a sound glitch issue that occurred after I installed Boom. (Boom has been properly uninstalled but the glitch is still there - tinny etc.

3. If I reinstall the operating system, will I lose itunes library?

4. Can one resinstall the operating system oneself without a disk?

5. I want to remove my HD and put in a 1 TB HD and put the contents of old onto the new. I know how to do this, but will I be able to put the operating system into it myself without a disk?

Operating system is 10.8.5 mountain lion

Thanks for answering.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. No.

2. Hard to tell, it can't hurt.

3. You already asked at 1. The answer's still no.

4. Yes, that's the whole point of the recovery partition.

5. You need an external USB caddy for your old drive, the proper screwdrivers and a bit of patience. You do not need discs to install OS X. Macs have not needed discs to install OS X since 2011.

3. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Re 5. So I could technically do the 1 TB thing myself if I did it correctly?

One of my bigger concerns is retaining my itunes library as is - in alphabetical order in list view with titles of recordings etc. - it is very full and I need to stay as it is. Are there risks to this being re organized etc.?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you know how to read instructions and follow them, and which end of the screwdriver goes where, you have all the required skills.

Reorganizing your iTunes library is just a matter of a few clicks, I don't see why it's bothering you so much?

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

If you haven't already "purchased" Yosemite and downloaded it, good luck getting a copy of it, Apple made it unavailable to purchase/download when El Capitan was released.

6. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Computers are not as consistent as they seem they should be - different programs etc. can cause different things to happen. People are always ranting about glitches.

Could you advise on a case to purchase?

This is my understanding of how to do it:
    remove old HD and put in case (or whatever its called)
    put in new HD
    somehow transfer/copy all data from old to new (how?)
    Then where do I find the operating system to put in the new HD?
    keep old HD with data for back up

I know I can do this, I have done more complicated things; it's a matter of knowing what to do.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Any USB case with a SATA port inside meant to fit 2.5" hard drives will work. Find one that fits your budget and purchase it.
    One way(but not the only way) to go about it would be:

0. Google "How to reinstall OS X"
    The first hit should be this:
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204904

Read up. The process is nearly identical across all versions so I won't bother you with details.

1. Remove old hard drive, stick in case, set aside for later.

2. Pop new hard drive in.

3. Close computer up.

4. Boot computer and follow the instructions you read at step 0.

5. Make yourself coffee/beer/beverage of your choice while your computer does it's thing.

6. The install is done, check everything works as intended.

7. Plug in case we set aside in step 1.

8. Start up migration assistant.

9. Follow on screen instructions.

You're done.

Else, if you're moving to a larger hard drive, you could straight up clone your hard drive onto the other one with a program such as Carbon Copy Cloner. Simply swap the drives when you're done and you're back up and running.

8. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

9. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

10. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

11. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

12. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The "HDE Super Speed USB 3.0 Sleek Aluminum 2.5" SATA External Hard Drive Disk Enclosure Case Tool Free HDD Caddy (Silver)" drive SHOULD work for your new drive or your old internal drive, though your post did not provide a link to check details.

No, assuming "will this work" means install the above HD drives in your MBP then definitely NO! Your MBP internal drive is 2.5", the HD drives you linked to are 3.5", WAY too big to fit in your MBP.

This HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive WILL work in your MBP. I have personally used it in an external drive enclosure and it works very well. I only have SSD's in my MBPs, no HD spinners for me.

13. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

1 - No, all files will be kept.
    2 - I don't know, you'll have to see for yourself.
    3 - Same as #1
    4 - Yes, boot into recovery partition (Command+R on bootup) and you'll be able to do whatever you want from here.
    5 - Yes, but you will only be able to install the system that came with your computer, presumably 10.7.X Lion. Command+R on bootup will automatically boot into network recovery if it doesn't detect a hard drive with an OS installed. Alternatively, use DiskMaker X before changing the hard drive to make a modern OS X installation, but that'll require an 8GB or larger free USB drive.

Oh, and I recommend upgrading to 10.11 El Capitan instead, it's much better than Yosemite. Also, do a Time Machine backup before upgrading the OS. You'll be able to restore to 10.8.5 if you don't like the update. On that note, that will also let you restore directly to whatever OS you want without having to use Internet Recovery after changing the hard drive.

14. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

oops I didn't see the 3.5" - I would have known that.
    The specs for the enclosure are:
    • Aluminum SATA HDD/SSD enclosure compatible with USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed)
    • Backward compatible with USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) and 1.0 profiles; Supports most 2.5" SATA I/II hard drives
    • Fan-less aluminum casing cools hard drive with silent operation; Hot-Swappable and Plug and Play
    • Dimensions: 4.6" x 2.84" x 0.32"
    • Package Includes: 1 x Hard Disk Enclosure, 1 x USB 3.0 to Mini USB Cable, 1 x Travel Bag

Also, I tend to like to keep things as they are to avoid compatibility issues with different programs ie 2010 office with yosimite or whatever. Will I be able to reinstall 10.8.5 - I think this will occur automatically if I restore from partition? Yosemite scared me away right away, and El Capitan seems to have issues with things like Office. I don't feel like dealing with all the glitches so would rather keep Mountain Lion.

15. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

oops I didn't see the 3.5" - I would have known that.
    The specs for the enclosure are:
    • Aluminum SATA HDD/SSD enclosure compatible with USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed)
    • Backward compatible with USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) and 1.0 profiles; Supports most 2.5" SATA I/II hard drives
    • Fan-less aluminum casing cools hard drive with silent operation; Hot-Swappable and Plug and Play
    • Dimensions: 4.6" x 2.84" x 0.32"
    • Package Includes: 1 x Hard Disk Enclosure, 1 x USB 3.0 to Mini USB Cable, 1 x Travel Bag

Also, I tend to like to keep things as they are to avoid compatibility issues with different programs ie 2010 office with yosimite or whatever. Will I be able to reinstall 10.8.5 - I think this will occur automatically if I restore from partition? Yosemite scared me away right away, and El Capitan seems to have issues with things like Office. I don't feel like dealing with all the glitches so would rather keep Mountain Lion.

16. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

You can update to El Cap, but prior to doing that, do a Time Machine backup and you'll be able to restore from it in case something goes wrong.

17. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

But it will restore with Mountain Lion unless I upgrade to El Cap, obviously, right? I'm just making sure.

18. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

When you make a TM backup, it backs up the entire system, including the OS. Upon restoring from said backup, you will be able to choose what backup you're going to restore from.

19. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Yes, the external enclosure will work.
    You MBP originally came with OS 10.7 (Lion), so I assume you downloaded/upgraded to OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), so yes you can install OS 10.8.5. Use the instructions I linked to in Post #9.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

EDIT: Just read the user would like to keep 10.8.5. In that case, you will need to make a block for block copy of the drive using an app like SuperDuper to the new drive, then install it. You could also install the new drive and boot from the Recovery Partition externally, although I do not know if this is supported.