Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I am waiting for my new 6 to arrive and my daughter just dropped my 44mm WiFi only on hard travertine and the top edge of the display chipped away...I went to the Apple site and apparently it is $300 for out of warranty repair.

1. I am guessing I could easily buy a whole used S4 for $300. Why is it so expensive?
2. Any idea how difficult it is to buy the display and do it yourself?
3. Any other places that are recommended for replacing the screen for less money?

Thanks.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
1) Apple never repairs these. They replace them.
2) It’s hard. The screen is (obviously) small and delicate/difficult to work with.
3) Most places won’t do it. Those that do charge a pretty penny. You’d do best to sell it for parts. If you do want to attempt the repair-because it can be done-go to iFixit. They have a tear-down guide and the parts you’ll need.

Reactions: kat.hayes

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Went to the Apple site looking at the warranty, and I didn't see what the monthly fee was. I just saw info stating that you get two incident a year and each has a fee of $69. What does Apple charge for the monthly warranty fee? I've never bought warranties, though after this I think I want to for the new 6 cellular I am waiting to arrive.

Thanks.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
If you’re referring to AppleCare, it’s usually $80 or so or $3-4 a month. The deductible is usually around $70 per incident.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am waiting for my new 6 to arrive and my daughter just dropped my 44mm WiFi only on hard travertine and the top edge of the display chipped away...I went to the Apple site and apparently it is $300 for out of warranty repair.

1. I am guessing I could easily buy a whole used S4 for $300. Why is it so expensive?
2. Any idea how difficult it is to buy the display and do it yourself?
3. Any other places that are recommended for replacing the screen for less money?

Thanks.

Just a few things:

1.) By all means, I would not let anyone else service the Apple Watch except for Apple themselves exclusively. First off, third party repair stores do not have access to Apple OEM parts, which may degrade the quality of the watch that you’re having repaired.

2.) Even if third-party repair stores tell you they can ‘fix’ the watch, they are likely lying, because they don’t have the training/Qualified experience to repair the watch other than what they probably watched a YouTube video. Again, I can’t reiterate this enough, only use Apple for any Apple Watch repairs.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
For that repair price I would buy an SE if you are looking to have a second watch. I have used AC+ once on my previous 3 which I damaged shortly after I got it. For me, I like having the insurance. For my 11” IPP, AC+ saved me $500 when I cracked the screen. That was the first time I ever damaged an iPad and the first time I ever got AC+ for an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.