Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Relatively new MacBook Pro, SSD, 8GB Ram, Retina and since an iTunes update, I disk tools is unable to repair permissions for iTunes.

I have used MacTuneUp pro and Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner to attempt to fix the issue, but permission issues prevail. I attempted to delete iTunes and reinstall, but the MacOS won't let me (probably this is a Windows type of fix).

Any insights / experiences appreciated,

-Sheldon

Attachments

• Screenshot 2013-10-12 17.06.41.png
    Screenshot 2013-10-12 17.06.41.png
    514.9 KB · Views: 145

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Boot into your recovery partition (Cmd + R while booting) and try to repair disk permissions from there.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Boot into your recovery partition (Cmd + R while booting) and try to repair disk permissions from there.

Great thank you. I have tried that as well, including the change password options, but selecting the repair permissions from the change password screen.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Weird, it's saying that it expects a directory, but you have a file instead. Can you get one of the complete line(without the ...)? If so, you could post one here and we can compare to ours.

Last edited:

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Hmm. What is iTunes doing with the differing permissions? Is it not letting you open it or is it issues playing tracks?

MacRumoren

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
Relatively new MacBook Pro, SSD, 8GB Ram, Retina and since an iTunes update, I disk tools is unable to repair permissions for iTunes.

I have used MacTuneUp pro and Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner to attempt to fix the issue, but permission issues prevail. I attempted to delete iTunes and reinstall, but the MacOS won't let me (probably this is a Windows type of fix).

Any insights / experiences appreciated,

-Sheldon

Same situation here, no matter how many times I repair, even repairing using Recovery partition, the iTunes permission problem keeps happening.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Actually, it's not a permissions probelm, but filesystem structure problem. Something that's expected to be a directory appeats as a file.
Haven't checked on mine, maybe it's a feature of iTunes 11?

EDIT: Just checked, and indeed, seems to be a "feature" of current iTunes itself.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.