'Repairing permissions' has apparently cured cursor freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pfgpowell, Oct 23, 2009.

1. pfgpowell macrumors newbie

On my 12in iBook G4, I had a problem which started a few months ago and got increasingly worse. Using the trackpad, the cursor would freeze. At first using a mouse would unfreeze it (even making the trackpad usable again), but then sometimes that, too, wouldn't. All I could do would be to force shut down the laptop. But the freezing got worse and worse and worse. Then yesterday, the iBook twice stopped acknowledging that the airport card was installed. Strictly these two problems should have nothing to do with each other. In desperation, and not really knowing a lot about OSX, I booted up from the installation disk and 'repaired permissions' and blow me, the problem as not yet come back (tho' that might be tempting fate). Can this be possible? No more trouble with the freezing, so far, and no more trouble with the airport card not being seen. Mind, it's early days yet.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What os are you using? You may want to download and run onyx or applejack.

3. pfgpowell thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using 10.4.11. What would these apps do? As of writing, having switched off the iBook, dropped off my car, seen the doctor, then returned home for a cup of tea (I'm English) and switched on the iBook again (to check this site), I'm pleased to so the so far there has still been no recurrence of the freezing, whereas before it was happening more often than not. I shall investigate the apps you mention.