Repairing Permissions LONG TIME?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aylah, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Aylah macrumors newbie

Hi, I am repairing permissions and it has been 3 hours! Is something wrong?
    I have had it take an hour before but this is making me nervous. It is however making that ticking clicking sound. What should I do?

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

3 hours?

Clicking noises?

That does not sound right, it could be a failing HDD.

First thing you do is: Backup all your files while you can!

Second thing to do is try to quit the permission repair and check SMART Status (listed at bottom of disk utility window), and also click on verify disk

The disk may have some errors on it, causing read/write problems which could in turn make the permission repair very difficult.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed... back up data pronto if you have not

Then boot from the disk that came with the computer
    You can run the Repair Disk from there

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Aylah thread starter macrumors newbie

I did boot from the cd and all is frozen. How do I stop it safely?

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

What do you mean frozen? The machine is freezing up or the HDD(s) are locked? Or something else? People need as much information as possible in order to be able to help.

Type of machine, Peripherals, OS ver., symptoms with a better description of "ticking/clicking", and what you've done so far - exactly.

I've never seen RP take more than 3 to 5 min. even on the very slowest of systems BTW. With some "ticking" and now whatever this freeze is I guess you have a hardware problem of some kind. Probably the drives but more information is needed.

6. Aylah thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the lack of info. I will try and explain. I have an iMac G4 with OS10.5.6 I just switched from dial up to sat high speed and I thought I would clean house a bit before I started to enjoy HS. I emptied trash, removed old files and reduced iPhoto clutter and then I attempted to RP. I booted from the CD and all was well until the proceedure blue streak stopped moving and I could not highlite any commands like stop RP or even in the tool bar quit etc.
    During all of this I can hear the chorteling sound that all my cd's make. So I thought it was just working hard at RP. 3 hours later I know it is not right. I could not stop or open cd tray so I just hit power button and restarted. I removed CD and now I am using iMac and all seems fine. I just bugs me that I could not RP. I do this once a month or so to keep things running smoothly. I had been having some sluggish beach ball happening when running iphoto.'NOW I am reluctant to do a RP. What say you wise guru's??

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Ah, OK, I see. You're CD drive choked. Scratched CD? Dirty heads? Hot? Etc.?

You don't need to boot from CD in order to RP permissions. You only need to do that for the "Repair Disk" function located under the Verify Disk button. Additionally it's grayed out if you select the startup volume you booted from.

So it's all good. Crap like this happens sometimes... It's computers. :) Go back to enjoying your life. :)

8. Aylah thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I dunno weather Apple recommends the wet type or the dry type but it's just a DVD Cleaning Kit. Usually about $5 to $10 or so. I typically find that right at about the time they really need to be cleaned they also need to be replaced. You know, one of those "last legs" scenarios. :p I don't know what that entails on a iMac G4 but there are step tutorials for the DIY action when your warrantee is already gone. Have a search. I guess a replacement drive for that machine ought to be around $30 or so. <shrug>

Here's an example of a cleaner: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Cleaner-Players-CD-ROM-DVD-ROM/dp/B00006HZ2Z/ref=pd_sim_e_8 No idea if it's good or crap but I think they're all about the same <shrug><shrug>

For the drive this finder seems to work: http://www.welovemacs.com/img5sepa.html <shrug><shrug><shrug> :)