Repairing permissions, something odd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LumbermanSVO, Feb 10, 2008.

1. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

When I repair permissions from both Disk Utility in the HDD and the install CD everything goes fine. When I do it from MainMenu I get this little gem:

Is this something I should look into?

MainMenu doesn't fix this but it did report it the second time I repaired permissions.

I am curious because I have been experiencing some odd behavior from my 17" 2.4 SR MBP w/10.4.11. Apps are randomly freezing, the track pad seems to go nuts, then becomes unresponsive, the computer fails to respond to the power button, ect,...

Several times now I've had to unplug it and remove the battery to do a re-start. Each time I repair permissions and the log files are the only ones that seem to need any repairing.

I just did the hardware tests and came back with no problems.

I'm running through all the maintenance apps I have right now because it is one of the few times I have a solid connection to the internet.(I'm a truck driver)

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

SC Info is an invisible file in the Shared folder which iTunes uses to store Authorisation info. are you having trouble playing purchased songs from the iTunes store?

do you have a Shared folder in the Users directory? if not run these commands in the Terminal and provide your password when needed (it wont show you typing you password). you should then have a Shared folder and the SC Info file should be automatically made.

Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /Users/Shared
    Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /Users/Shared

3. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I did have a Shared folder. I was having problems with FrontRow saying I was not aurhorized to play music I had ripped from CD.

I went ahead and trashed the Shared folder then ran the commands you showed and reauthorized my computer in iTunes. I then repaired permissions from MainMenu again and got no errors.

Only time will tell of this fixed my FrontRow problems, or anything else. My luck I just created more problems!

I ran everything I could run in MainMenu and Onyx so hopefully this fixes things for awhile.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

cool well done! if you have any more problems just add a new reply