Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
My iMac has been a bit sluggish as of late. Any chance that repairing permissions would help? What is Repairing permissions, and how exactly do I do it?:)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It can't hurt to do it...it can solve some problems, but some people think it's usually worthless. It basically makes sure that read and write privileges for each folder are set as they should be. Sometimes they get screwed up, and this double checks that they're as they should be.

Open Disk Utility (in Applications --> Utilities), select your hard drive, and click "Repair Permissions." It'll take a few minutes to run.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
My iMac has been a bit sluggish as of late. Any chance that repairing permissions would help? What is Repairing permissions, and how exactly do I do it?:)
It probably won't make a difference. If you want to do it, then the Disk Utility is in applications/utilities. Open it and select repair permissions on your system drive.

If you Mac is sluggish you can try creating a new user account or doing an archive and install. Both seem drastic, but they have the best results.

Also, there are optimization utilities out there like Onyx. http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.