Repairing PSU after rabbit attack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesraward, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jamesraward, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

Rabbit bit through my PSU cable.

Has anyone had any experience repairing the wire? I've leccy taped it up, but the connection is severed and will only work whilst bending the split together.

2. dyn macrumors 68030

In that case: buy a new one...and imprison the killer rabbit :p

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I think my daughter is posting under a sock puppet account so I don't know her rabbit munched through yet another cord....

I'm surprised hers hasn't electrocuted itself yet..:D

4. dime21 macrumors 6502

Stop using your laptop around animals. It's a computer, not a farm implement. Or just go buy another $80 power supply and don't complain when it happens again.

5. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Unless you're an electrician, don't bother!

Calm down, dime21.

6. Tikkabhuna macrumors newbie

If you managed to get it working with some electrical tape you could try solder them together and put tape round it. Might be a tad risky though.

7. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I'd cook it, these critters are rather tasty.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

9. jamesraward, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

Thank you for your sound advice. I probably ought stop using it for the daily goat inventory and hay stock take too then.

Seriously though, I've repaired a Dell psu and now it powers but does not charge, I was wondering if it's worth spending the time repairing it or I should just resign myself to buying another one. no complaints, it was my fault, and it's a house rabbit, they tend to be in the, well, house.

10. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Splice the cable, reattach the wires, put some electrical tape on it, then top it off with some duct tape. This happened to me before. As long as you isolate the wires properly it will work as before. At the very least, you'll have a spare psu.

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It was a beast with huge fangs!!! Time for the Holy Hand Grenade!

When my dog bit through mine, I repaired it as a backup supply (but if it is truly severed, I would recommend a new power supply). Did I mention that I am an FCC certified technician and electrician, so I am qualified for electronics repair, so I wouldn't recommend it for the untrained (and I would solder the wires together and seal with shrink wrap and not electrical tape, it will work, but not be as robust and resistant). I have noticed that animals seem attracted to Apple supplies and turn their noses to HP and IBM supplies. Does Apple make them tasty????

12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I wouldnt risk repairing it either. If you got a new one, there must be some kind of wrap around rabbit proofing you can get for the wires tho?

Wow, you have some really bad rabbit issues dont you?

13. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

4 out of 5 rabbits said that Apple PSUs were more tasty than carrots:D

I don't know how tasty Apple PSUs are because after finding out how tasty Ethernet cable are I made sure to keep my PSU away from any animal. I also have seen one HP PSU nibbled on but whoever did it was not happy with the it and gave up with out eating all though way through it.

14. jamesraward thread starter macrumors regular

jamesraward

She always chews the DC line, never the AC one, which is lucky as she'd be BBQ if that were the case!

Here's the result:

[​IMG]