Repairing scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucidPsychosis, Aug 3, 2010.

1. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

I have some superficial scratches on the bottom of my MBP, and while most of the time I can't even see them, they're still there. Do ya know what I mean? How, if any way is possible, could I go about removing these scratches?

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

well there's basically no way to really "remove" the scratches. However, I believe there are some decent scratch fillers that you can use to make the scratches appear as if they weren't there. Here's an example of one: http://www.nowet.com/metalpolish.htm it looks like it's mainly used for bigger stuff, but the MBP is still aluminum, so it should work :D

3. LucidPsychosis thread starter macrumors regular

Alright. Cool!

One more question: Would the superficial scratches be a problem if I ever tried to use my Applecare warranty? Does superficial damage void it?

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Not technically, no. It's just counted as normal wear damage. It won't do a thing to void your applecare warranty. Other things included in the normal wear part would be: minor bumps, dirty, minor scratches on the screen, and of course gradual battery degradation. Hope this helps :)

5. kalex macrumors 65816

no it doesn't. If you have a dent, you might have issues but should still be serviceable.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You should not use metal polish on your macbook pro. It is powder coated not bare aluminum, and you will not achieve the results you are looking for.

Your options are touch-up paint or buy a replacement bottom plate.

7. LucidPsychosis thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll just do my best to ignore it until I have a proper excuse to use Applecare.

8. miked112 macrumors newbie

Where can I buy a new bottom plate...just got a huge scratch on the bottom of my 2010 MBP & it's really bugging me. Thanks

EDIT: apologies, just saw the sticky...thanks