Repairing SD Card?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benguild, Oct 4, 2007.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

I've got an SD card that's acting pretty funny... shows up under Disk Utility but when I try to Mount or Format it -- ERRORS! (like "this action failed")

Not much I can do from there, are there any UNIX functions I could try in the Terminal to rescue this as a storage medium? I'm using a Sandisk USB adapter to access it and none of the data on there is needed. (luckily!)

:confused: :apple:

2. Serge N Gin macrumors member

Serge N Gin

Try reformatting that SD card using the camera rather than the computer ...

I'd also create a new user account and try mounting the drive in this new account?

Did you try repairing disk permissions with Disk Utility?

I'd also try disconnecting your Mouse ... if it's not a standard Apple mouse.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

SD cards (and other forms of flash memory) go bad all the time. They are only rated for so many write operations (as an average, some might actually last for less).

I'd say your time would be better spend in the store buying another card...

4. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried formatting it on a windows machine and it wouldn't even see it. It just said "please insert a disc into drive E:"

5. kick52 macrumors member

WTF?

6. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think he was maybe saying that since it was a USB adapter there was the potential for device bus interference... it IS possible

7. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Yup, and I'd also suggest unplugging your screen and, quite possibly, your speakers as well.

But do not unfasten your safety belt, please.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Please define what you mean by "rescue". Are there images on it you want to recover? If so, there are some programs that claim to recover files from flash media. ProSoft has one, Google or Versiontracker for ideas.

If you simply want to erase the card to keep using it, then you should NOT reformat in a PC... you should always use the device (camera, MP3Player) to reformat the flash card.

Rule for Flash: Take your pictures, put it in the card reader, transfer the files to the computer, immediately take the card back out, reformat in the camera.

Do not use the computer OS to do anything on the flash card.

9. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, I'll try formatting it in the camera tomorrow when I have a chance. I already tried this picture frame we have that'll play slideshows (it can also format cards) but it didn't work. (still unreadable after)

10. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, tried formatting it in the camera and it said Unable to format.
    However, this is a 4GB card and I'm not sure if this particular camera is capable of reading it.

I dunno what to do! Seems like the card is junkkkk