Repairing water damaged phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Aug 24, 2016.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

We had a non-iPhone that became water damaged. I know this isn't a non-apple forum...but can anyone share any info about having a phone repaired. (All our other phones are iPhones). The phone was totally shot and square trade says they have fixed it. We didn't do the whole rice thing because we were planning to just send it in. The battery was non removable...so we couldn't stop damage that way. Can phones be fixed for water damage?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If the circuitry was water damaged it would not be a user repairable defect.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

They said they ordered parts...and repaired it. I am anxious to get it back and see what condition it is in. It had been fully submerged in water and was doing all sorts of crazy things once it was out and turned off.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You can definitely repair water damaged phones.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If the main board was damaged about the only part that would fix it would be another main board.

They might have kept parts from another of the same model. I am not depending on a phone repaired by SquareTrade.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's tough with water damage. It might be repaired and work fine now but slowly parts might start failing as corrosion sets in.
    It's like a ticking bomb.

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Agreed! That's why I was surprised they repaired it. They said we have 30 days to see how it is doing.