Repairing your HDD with App Store bought OS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheDarkCalling, Nov 9, 2013.

1. TheDarkCalling macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I can't find the answer to this anywhere, but I'm trying to verify/repair permissions on Disk Utility because my Mac has been acting up, and it said I need to reboot with my CD to repair said permissions. I'm running 10.6.8, and bought a CD because I lost the original one. It didn't work so I sent the OS disk back, and am now contemplating (why only now?) whether or not I can buy Snow Leopard off App Store, and burn it as an ISO to boot from so I can go into Disk Utility and sort my stuff there.... Is this possible?

Thanks in advance :)

Nick

2. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

the easiest by far is to get onto a newer OS X and put the OS onto a USB thumb drive. instead of DVDs.

The USB drive should be +6 GB

3. TheDarkCalling thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want to upgrade to a new OS though, and I don't have a USB that big and won't be able to get one any time soon.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Apple does not offer a downloadable version of Snow Leopard in the App Store or anywhere else.

What disc did you buy that did not work? Was it one of the grey installer discs? Those are model specific, so you would need the exact one for your model. You can buy the retail, Snow Leopard installer DVD direct from Apple here.

5. TheDarkCalling thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, I just checked again and they don't have it.

I bought the one with the snow leopard on the disk, it didn't work, I tried it on my girlfriends mac and it didn't boot either so.. I think it was a shoddy disk. I lost my grey disk, which sucks because that's the one that got me through all the hardships!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like a bad disk like you say. If you want, you can call Apple and they will sell you that grey disk also.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The disc may have not worked because it contained an earlier version of OS X 10.6 than what originally shipped with your Mac.

As far as verifying/repairing disk permissions you can do that with Disk Utility (it should be in your Utilities folder inside your Applications folder).

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You can connect your mac (what mac do you have?) to your girlfriends mac using firewire. (firewire 800 to 800, or 800 to 400 or 400 to 400). Then you should start your mac into target disk mode.

Now your mac's hard drive should appear on your girlfriends mac. If you open disk utility on her mac, your mac's drive should appear under her drives. Select it and do the repairs.

Hope this helps :D.

Sometimes disk utility can't repair the disk when the OS on it is running.