Repairs: Apple Store or Authorized Repair Center?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    I've been having a recurring problem with my late 2007 24" 2.4 GHz iMac, see here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=641782&highlight=keyboard+-responding

Anyway, I called Apple and they said to either take it to the closest Apple Store or to an Authorized Apple Repair Center. Since it's covered under AppleCare, it won't cost me anything. Since it's the first time my iMac has needed any service I am very concerned where I take it to.
    My question: The Apple Store is 100 miles away. The Authorized Apple Repair Center is 6 miles away. Which should I take it to?
    I trust the Apple Store. That's where I bought it. I expect the Authorized Apple Repair Center to give just as good of service as the Apple Store.
    Anyone have any thoughts/anecdotes regarding real Apple vs. Authorized Apple? Am I just being paranoid? Thanks!
    Morod

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You quadruple posted in a thread... and then you decided to create another one?

The non-Apple store.

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thank you for the advice, O Tall One, as I do truly respect your opinions. And I am sorry for all the posts. The aforementioned and referenced post was strictly on the problem (and possible solution) I was having. This new thread was strictly concerning the Apple Store vs. Authorized Repair Center question, which to me was entirely different, hence the new thread.
    I am sorry for any faux pas on my part, and sorry too for the excessive posts concerning this one problem.
    At the least you have saved 200 miles of driving and wear and tear on my car, for which I am thankful again.
    Morod

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Eh, forgive the perceived harshness.

They're authorized for a reason. No sense in going to a Genius that tells you that you have to pay when you can go to someone not directly employed by Apple who hasn't been trained to be heartless.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple Store repairs usually take a few days, depending on how backlogged the queue is. The authorized retailer might save you time by getting it done overnight or even the same day, not to mention the time and gas you'd save driving to the Apple Store.

6. Mick B macrumors newbie

Mick B

I had an issue with my iMac keyboard and the nearest Apple store is 65 miles away.The authorized repair centre was only 3 .I took it there and was a little worried but it was all resolved within a couple of days with a new keyboard and receipt from apple :D My local repairer was spot on with its service. I hope that helps:)