Repairs...time involved ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Mercurian, Jul 2, 2017.

1. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

So I have a 2014 MBP thats about to hit the end of AppleCare. It has a few niggles:
    1. Staingate
    2. Lost a footpad recently. I think it melted off when on one occasion the machine didn't shut down in my bag and ran very hot for unknown reason
    3. My E & C keys are worn.

Its a 2 hour drive to my nearest Apple store. I know they would do the staingate fairly easily and for free but are those other two issues big repairs and would they charge ? My main concern is actually time - I don't want to have to leave it with them overnight or anything.

2. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I took my rMBP in for the new screen. They told me it was going to be 2 days but it ended up being 2 hours. As for the other two, those shouldnt be hard to fix and you can probably find them yourself.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Make an appointment.
    Make a backup
    Be prepared to leave it.
    For the keyboard to be done right the upper housing needs to be corrected.
    It may need to be sent out to a repair center

4. The Mercurian thread starter macrumors 65816

Well if it is all that involved I can't do it. Can't easily make a an appointment as it is cross-border. Apparently foot-pad may mean new bottom housing. So if it needs new screen, new upper housing and new lower housing - any change they would simply replace the whole thing ?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No they'll fix it using all the internal parts, that is the contract with apple care and its rare that they offer a new machine as replacement except in a special circumstance, i.e. they have fixed the same defect more than 3 times.

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

You should call them and ask them about the repair time. They know what the in-house techs have in the queue, and also if they can even do these fixed at the store.

7. The Mercurian thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all. Will probably give them a call all right.

8. punchwalk macrumors regular

It's impossible for anyone here to answer your question with any certainty.

Turnaround time depends on a variety of factors, some of which vary in significance from day to day.

For many common repairs, you should prepare to be without your computer for 3-5 days (and longer for delicate repairs that need to be done off-site). It rarely takes more than 2-3 days, but sometimes they have a lot of other repairs in the queue.

The Apple Stores near where I live (Washington DC metro area) tend to be extremely busy. I had to wait almost a week for a logic board replacement. By contrast, I had a minor repair that took one day.

Bottom line is that you should prepare for a minimum wait of three days. Anything less than that is a bonus.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2017 ---
    Oh, by the way: I have a 2013 MBP in the shop for staingate right now. They quoted me 3-5 days. Today is day four. Hopefully you will have better luck.