Repartition external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaronthomas, Jun 14, 2013.

1. aaronthomas macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Hi all! I'm using a WD 6TB external drive to store my movies from my Imac..... I currently have it set to Raid 1 making it a 3TB drive. I'm wondering if I can repartition the drive back to Raid 0 without loosing data. If I can not.... does anybody know, would video quality degrade if I were to back up to another borrowed drive and put back on my repartitioned drive. Thanks!

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Why don't you just mirror to another drive, repartition to 0, and migrate? Also, I do not think there would be any video quality degradation.

You do know if you have a Raid 0 failure, your data is torched, right?

3. aaronthomas thread starter macrumors regular

aaronthomas

Not a bad idea... Had one of my WD drives get fried today when I miss ejected. Such a stupid way to trash all my files and destroy a drive... total partition explosion. Tried everything to recover but no go. So thinking now of getting a new 6tb drive to replace the 4tb. Ill have them mirror each other... that way if one goes I dont loose 500 movies. Thought it would be cool to repartition existing and not have to swap... but now that i may get another drive doesnt matter I guess. Found out today that even if Im using drive as RAID 1... doesnt matter if the partition fails.