Repartition hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darkspork, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Darkspork macrumors newbie

I used Boot Camp to make a Windows partition. Since then, I have run out of space on my OSX partition. How can I resize the thing without having to reinstall Windows or lose any of its data?

2. raziel777 macrumors regular

How much room do you have on your windows partition? You might be able to make it smaller without losing any data.

3. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

I have not used boot camp in quite some time, but if i remember correctly just open boot camp and it will allow you to resize the partition.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I've never heard of anyone being who had success in dynamically resizing the Windows partition in BootCamp. I don't think its possible...

@ weekendsrule32: You can only resize by removing/readding the partition, BootCamp Assistant doesn't allow you to resize with an existing Windows partition, nor will Disk Utility do it either.

5. raziel777 macrumors regular

What about through disk utility?

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes. resizing will likely kill Windows. But then all you do in re-install Windows. No problem Windows users are user to re-installing Windows. Seriously. That is the way to do it - resize then re-install Windows.

7. longwood macrumors regular

You can try iPartition, however, if you didn't create the partition on the hard drive originally with iPartition then I don't think that they can guarantee that it won't destroy the partition.