Repeat a video forever?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hualon, Jul 17, 2008.

1. hualon macrumors 6502

I'm hoping that I can use the iPT in a fairly non-standard way. I'd like to know if it's possible to load a single video file onto the thing and set it to repeat the video forever. Since I don't yet own one I need to know if this is possible before I go out and buy 10 of them for my application.

So... can you repeat a video forever? Thanks!

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

There isn't a "repeat" function for video on the Touch, so far as I can tell.

Just out of total curiosity, why do you want this?

3. hualon thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to display video art in a portable player. I want these pieces to be standalone. The iPT is a cheap video player with an integrated screen. I'd use a standard LCD and build it into a case but the tricky part is getting the flash video player! The iPT has all of that built-in.

4. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

"Flash video player?" The iPod touch doesnt' play flash. Only MP4(H.264)

5. hualon thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant flash RAM instead of a hard drive. No moving parts like an iPod or Zune...

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can repeat a video if it is tagged as a "music video," and you play it from the music player rather than from the video player. In order to tag a video as a "music video," find the video in iTunes, do "Get Info," click on the "Video" tab, and change "Video Kind" to "Music Video."

7. hualon thread starter macrumors 6502

INGENUITY! AWESOME!

8. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Night Spring gets points! Good thinking!!!

9. hualon thread starter macrumors 6502

I was just trying this out at the Fruit Stand and I guess I misunderstood what you suggested. I launched "Videos" and then scrolled down to music videos but once they started playing I had no control over it except for pause, rew, & ffwd.

What am I not getting?

10. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Okay, in iTunes on your COMPUTER, not iPod Touch, locate the video you want to be able to repeat, right click, click "Get Info," click on the "Video" tab, and change "Video Kind" to "Music Video.". Now sync your iPod Touch, make sure in the 'Movies' tab it says 'sync music videos' & 'sync movies'.
    Now, go to your iPod Touch, press on 'Music', hit 'More' and then 'Music Videos'. Choose the one you want to play.
    Now, turn it landscape, and bring the controls back up y tapping the screen. In the left-hand corner, press the continuous arrow button TWICE to display the continuous arrow in blue with a '1' next to it. Now it will repeat the video over and over again until you press 'done'.

Make sure the iPod Touch is PLUGGED IN so that your battery does not die if you are mounting it in a box or something, also that it has adequate ventilation too, as it does get warm! Also, you'll want the screen brightness up too probably.

If you can't get it to work let me know, I will post pics of me doing it if need be.

SuperMacMan

11. hualon thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome. That's what I was missing. I was trying to play it through the video mode instead of the music mode. Thanks for the succinct explanation. I can be pretty dense. :D

12. atzile macrumors newbie

well...still doesnt work

I have the same problem...wished to repeat a video.
    I did as suggested above, only it doesnt work : once the video is defined
    as "music video", the Ipod plays onl the music, and the first frame of the
    video as a picture.

I found out, that under "music -> more" there isn't any "music videos"
    and the video I have converted is shown only under a playlist called "music videos"....

Can I be offered help ?

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've just tried it under 2.2.1 and it definitely still works. What format is the video?