Repeated "Allow incoming connections" dialogues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blueeye, Nov 27, 2010.

1. blueeye macrumors member

blueeye

Hi all,

This is a problem that people have complained about before but I thought I'd start a new thread because this is about a particular cause.
    Essentially, the reason OSX Firewall repeatedly asks whether or not to allow/deny incoming connections with particular apps is that their signatures are invalid. Leopard/Snow Leopard is quite lenient with unsigned software but rather cracks down on invalid signatures.
    Now I have this problem with a lot of my apps and so I used
    Code:
    codesign -v /Applications/Coda.app

For example and got back
    Code:
    a sealed resource is missing or invalid

Now I think I've worked out why this is: XSlimmer. I use XSlimmer on almost all my applications because it's useful to slim down the apps but it means that the signature is no longer valid (I checked this hypothesis by testing a freshly downloaded Coda, running XSlimmer and trying again).

It is really annoying to have to always click "allow" every time I use an application so I was wondering if anyone knows a way around this problem without a) disabling the Firewall b) not using XSlimmer.

2. djcyph macrumors member

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

Thanks for the post. Perhaps someone else can provide a solution that meets your constraints. My suggestion is to stop using XSlimmer. How large is your hard drive? Is it very full?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've used Monolingual to remove unwanted languages and PPC architectures, and I've never had any problem with signatures being invalid or any firewall issues.

5. blueeye thread starter macrumors member

blueeye

No I haven't

The reason for using XSlimmer was application performance. I wanted to get rid of extraneous languages and architectures.

It depends on what programmes you've used it on. This problem is a codesign problem and therefore occurs with signed binaries only.
    It also depends on whether or not your firewall is switched on.

---

This is of course not a problem limited to XSlimmer but relates to any situation where you have patched a file, modified resources (e.g. to alter iTunes' themes) etc..

6. LPZ, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

LPZ macrumors 65816

I doubt XSlimmer improves "application performance" in any significant way. It simply appears to reduce "fat binaries" by keeping only the binary for your system's architecture. So it reduces the size of a binary, which will save some space on your HD, but that's about it. With or without XSlimmer, the OS will execute the proper binary for your architecture. Unless your HD space is very limited, you likely gain next to nothing from XSlimmer.

[EDIT] That said, I agree that this OS X behavior is both annoying and odd. Of course you should be asked whether or not to allow the application to receive incoming connections, since the app was signed and has obviously been modified. But you should not be asked again once you've given your answer---unless the package is modified once more. OS X should somehow "re-sign" the modified package, and unless it is changed again, OS X should abide by your original answer. This seems like a flaw in OS X, though perhaps I'm missing something.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you give some common app names as examples?
    My firewall is always on.
    I have altered resources in many apps, and still have had no problem with Monolingual.

8. LPZ, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

LPZ macrumors 65816

As an experiment, I downloaded Coda and unzipped the archive. Then, before launching Coda or modifying the package, I used Terminal:

Code:
    LZsMacPro-OSX6: ~/Downloads] codesign -vvv Coda.app/
    Coda.app/: code object is not signed

Indeed, the package comes unsigned.

I then removed DebugBeep.nib from Coda.app/Contents/Resources and checked Terminal again:

Code:
    Coda.app/: code object is not signed

I then opened Coda and chose to allow it to accept incoming connections when I was asked. I then checked Terminal again:

Code:
    Coda.app/: valid on disk
    Coda.app/: satisfies its Designated Requirement
    I then quit Coda and reopened again, and was not asked again about incoming connections.

So, my guess is that OS X "signs" the unsigned package when the app is first opened. So if you apply XSlimmer to the package before you ever open the app, maybe you can avoid the problem you've been having.

9. blueeye thread starter macrumors member

blueeye

Ahh. That is quite interesting (and quite strange).
    I haven't bothered using XSlimmer on this install so I may just avoid it altogether...