Repeated Firewall App Permission Dialog

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ginsengbomb, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ginsengbomb macrumors member

Hello.

I think I've noticed this tendency in the past, but not in awhile. It's recently cropped back up again. I have one application in particular (XBMC) that, no matter how many times I add it, remove it, re-add it, whatever, to the Firewall access permission list in the Security prefs pane...the "Do you want the [application] to accept incoming network connections" dialog ALWAYS pops up when I start the application? This would be only a minor nuisance except I'm using the system as a mouse-less HTPC, so actually getting rid of the dialog is a bit of a pain in the butt :).

Any ideas how to fix this? Obviously turning the Firewall off is not a particularly good idea.

2. Set845 macrumors regular

I have the same problem with XBMC app and iTunes. I spoke to Apple Care and he told me to just turn off the firewall. No kidding. I'm new to Mac so I expressed my concern and he said most Mac users on a WPA2 wireless network don't bother even turning it on. That Macs ship with it disabled. Is this true?

3. ginsengbomb thread starter macrumors member

It's true that Macs ship with the firewall disabled, and I've heard that this is a frequent issue with iTunes as well. Seems insane to me to run around the Internet without a firewall, but I'm not quite an expert on the matter.

4. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I wonder about this as well. Wonder if my AirportExpress without the Lions software firewall will be good enough ? Should we worry a tad ? :confused: