Repeated Hangs - not fixed after repeated repairs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by No1nfoProvided, Sep 23, 2010.

1. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I have a MBP1,1 completely updated and OS 10.6.4 is now experiencing repeated hanging sessions where the beach ball shows up for 20 seconds at a time. I tried repairing the disk and repairing permissions, both with the disc upon startup and just running OS X normally. However, each time I repair, the same 3 files are always fixed and a 4th file that was not being able to be repaired at all. I don't think it's RAM problem because Windows runs smoothly, but this issue is frustrating. Should I just reinstall OS X, or does anyone out there have any advice as to solving this mess?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Is a particular application involved? Is there anything that seems to trigger the hanging, or does it appear to occur "at random?"

3. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

OH! I forgot that the files that can't be repaired are related to Java. All 4 files are in System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/. iTunes seems to cause some hanging and I think flash files when I try to play videos from my browser cause some hanging, but it's all very inconsistent. I could be watching a video for hours on end and suddenly, after the 10th hour, my system starts hanging like crazy, or I have iTunes running now, but quit it and put my computer to sleep and try to open it the next day and there's insane hanging again.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I would just back up data and do a reinstall, much faster to fix than trying to diagnosing the problem.

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

Yeah, I see these all the time. The hanging isn't related to these. Backing up and reinstalling makes sense, since the hangs are hard to isolate.

6. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

7. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

I finished reformatting my computer and the problem persists. I did not clean install however. It seems it just overwrote 10.6 over the 10.6.4 files, but in theory this should fix whatever problems I was having if it were in the system files, correct? However, the problem is still here. I'm guessing I should do a clean install. My question is then, should I reload my Time Machine backup? Would this bring back my problem?

8. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Restoring from Time Machine would not be recommended (unless you select specific items but that would be done in the OS and not through the installer) since any problems would transfer over the clean install and would make it useless.

In order to find the problem, you need to start fresh with no restoring of files from a backup.

10. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I just learned that the hard way. Oh well. I guess its time for a fresh OS X for me. First time I've had this problem of forced reformatting since switching to Mac 4 years ago :(

11. davidlv macrumors 65816

I do not think this presumption is correct. Apple doesn't update the file permissions database with every update, and there is a lnik on the Apple support page somewhere about which "errors" can be ignored. It is easier to just ignore the error messages, as they are not accurate. So even a clean install will not resolve that repair permissions issue, which almost certainly is not related to the "hanging" or more accurately "stalls" with the beachball spinning on and on. Many people, myself included, have resolved the stall issue by changing hard disk drives, some WD HDs refuse to work in some MBP models, while others have no problems. What model (company name) is your HD? This issue may be firmware related. Could you provide more hardware info; HD model etc. The MBP1,1 is a 2008? Can't remember which year that was or if that was a Unibody model (related to ease of relacing the HD).

12. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP1,1 was early to mid 2006 (the very first non-unibody models) and I actually replaced the stock hard drive with another. I'm not sure on the model, because I removed it from a Western Digital Passport and stuck it inside my MBP while putting my old HDD into that Passport "enclosure." I highly doubt it was the hard drive because I've been using it for 2-3 years without problems, and Windows Vista runs fine through Bootcamp. I did a fresh reformat and so far, no more stalls. Thanks for the help though. The MBP is actually noticeably faster like this too, which surprised me. Hopefully, as I reinstall programs and stuff, it doesnt start to bog down like before.