repeating problem with HDD cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karine, Oct 19, 2013.

1. karine, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

karine macrumors newbie

I have a late-2009 13" MPB. It was perfect till August 2012, then the HDD cable died. I bought a new cable (~50 $) and replaced both the cable and the HDD. Then the hdd cable problem repeated in June 2013 (usually, first it is Skype saying that it cannot mount database, then all the other programs say that they cannot write on the HDD, and then it does not reboot from the internal HDD, but perfectly boots from the same HDD via usb), so I've replaced the hdd cable once more. Now the hdd cable is wrong again.
    What should I do? I do not know where do they take such cables but this is annoying -- replacing it every 6 months (and you never know when will it go wrong). Or is that me causing this problem? Or maybe should I give up and buy a 2011 MBP (they say that its HDD cable is much more durable)?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I have the same problem with my 2009 13" MBP. Which size is yours? I've had Apple replace the cable five or six times and the hard drive twice. This has been happening for two years with no solution other than the Geniuses telling me to be more careful with it :p

I've heard that these models use flimsy cables, and sometimes the connector on the Logic Board can go bad. I've never convinced Apple to check my logic board for issues.

Good luck! I hope you can find an answer and help others with the same problem!

3. karine thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh sorry, it is also 13". Corrected the post.

But how can I be more careful? Do not put it on my knees?

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

They told me I needed to be more careful because my MBP was going in a backpack everyday. I also didn't know at first to wait for the led to start pulsing before closing it and putting it in my bag. It's more about transporting it than just using it.

But my experience tells me that the geniuses have no idea what causes this issue or how to prevent it from reoccurring. In my case I'm convinced it's a logic board issue. It's the only related part that hasn't been replaced, and I think software was ruled out after my most recent fresh install, although I did recover from a Time Machine backup.

I was just extremely irritated the last time I went in and the genius treated it like an iPhone issue and wiped my hard drive and reinstalled OS X.

I hope someone else around here has dealt with this since neither of us have an answer :(

5. karine thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks a lot!
    Yesterday, the non-Apple service center has told me the diagnosis: they think that this is an HDD problem, and they propose me to replace it. I have just refused. Now I use the same HDD as an external boot device, it works well, but I have to turn my MBP off every time I transport it. Maybe I will create a boot usb stick... But this is not a good solution...