Repeating To Do's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tobindia, Apr 26, 2012.

1. tobindia macrumors member

It seems that this should be easy...

Periodically, I want to do one or more things. Say, once month I want to buy flowers for my wife. So, iCal has an alert feature that let's me send an email to myself. So as not to clutter up my daily (prime time) calendar, I create an "event" to "Buy flowers" at 2 a.m. on Wednesday, repeat it monthly, and send an email alert to myself 5 minutes before the event. Depending on what I have going on, I might buy the flowers at lunchtime, or on the way home, or even the next day or 2, but I won't delete the email until after I buy the flowers.

Well, 1st of all, I get an alert on my iPhone at 1:55 a.m. I figured out how to turn the sound off of calendar alerts, but the iPhone (recharging on my nightstand) still lights up when it gets the alert. I don't know why the iPhone gets the alert in the 1st place, and I don't know how to turn the alert off.

2nd, the email is seemingly not sent until I open my laptop, which may not be till later in the day. For the "Buy flowers" event, this is not the end of the world, but it could be more problematic for other events. Sometimes, it seems, the email is not sent at all.

Should I not be using iCal? Any suggestions?

2. Nikh macrumors regular

Everything is logical, what the problem? Mac cannot send email until it is turned on. And since Reminders are synced with iOS, iPhone shows reminder.