Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
The first day I was listening to Beats1 overall I thought it was great, it was almost entirely new music to me that I never heard before. Even when it was a DJ playing a style of music I didn't like, I still somewhat enjoyed listening to it because it was new music I never heard before and that's interesting. But now by the 3rd day of listening, dude, it's nothing but non-stop repeats! WTH! I thought Beats1 was supposed to be a different kind of radio, the kind where songs didn't get repeated ad nauseam just because record companies were paying payola to the radio station. Because of all the repeats, my opinion of Beats1 went from "This is great!", to now "This is lame."

cmiller4642

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
I think that something you're failing to realize is that the music app launched on Tuesday. They're trying to give customers a taste of the radio station for probably the first month or two. It's not like this is going to suddenly all go away when the trials are over.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I think that something you're failing to realize is that the music app launched on Tuesday. They're trying to give customers a taste of the radio station for probably the first month or two. It's not like this is going to suddenly all go away when the trials are over.
How do you know?

Reactions: AleXXXa

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003

I don't see what your comment has to do with the topic of too many repeats.

cmiller4642

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
I don't see what your comment has to do with the topic of too many repeats.

It means they're going to repeat some of the songs and shows a bit just to give the customers a taste that are signing up for the first time. I doubt they're going to play totally different mixes all day every day to begin with. There are still trending songs that they're going to want to play more frequently (Beck's Dreams is a good example)

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
It means they're going to repeat some of the songs and shows a bit just to give the customers a taste that are signing up for the first time. I doubt they're going to play totally different mixes all day every day to begin with. There are still trending songs that they're going to want to play more frequently (Beck's Dreams is a good example)

I though that's what you were trying to say, but that makes zero sense. I'm not talking about shows getting repeated during half the day, that an understandable place for a newborn station to start. That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the same handful of songs getting repeated over and over again multiple times a day, day after day after day.

Lets take your example of Beck's song Dream. It's a good song! But it's lame to hear it 4 times a day on each consecutive day for 3 days in a row. That's 12 times in just 3 days. Beck has LOTS of good songs, there's absolutely no good reason (besides payola kinds of situations) for them to play just ONE Beck song multiple times a day multiple days in a row.

EDIT: And even more than that, there are HUNDREDS of great new songs out right now from HUNDREDS of different artists. To be repeating a small number of songs many many times in just 24 hours, and repeating them again and again and again over the past 96 hours, is just pure money-influence at work. If I had to guess I would say that this was probably part of the deal that Apple made with the record companies to secure the music streaming rights. As part of the deal Apple probably bargained away a certain percent of the decision power of which songs should be played on Beats1, and so the record companies are able to tell Apple that they have to play song X for Y times a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleXXXa and Ledgem

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's radio. Not sure where the idea that it's always going to be something different really comes from. For radio various songs will be repeated here and there.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's radio. Not sure where the idea that it's always going to be something different really comes from. For radio various songs will be repeated here and there.
So basically nothing unique about Beats 1 then. If I want to hear "hit" songs constantly repeated throughout the day I can tune into any iHeart Radio station and get that in spades. Except on iHeart stations they don't play station identification during the middle of a song and if they do talk over a song it's only the intro/ending of a song.

Reactions: tonyr6 and AleXXXa

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So basically nothing unique about Beats 1 then. If I want to hear "hit" songs constantly repeated throughout the day I can tune into any iHeart Radio station and get that in spades. Except on iHeart stations they don't play station identification during the middle of a song and if they do talk over a song it's only the intro/ending of a song.
It's unique as it's its own station and is the first one from Apple. But it's not some growndbreaking brand new never before seen/heard concept, and I don't think it was ever presented as such, despite people making a lot of assumptions based on some sort of wishful thinking, as they often do when it comes to Apple products and people expecting something unheard of all the time.

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Lets take your example of Beck's song Dream. It's a good song! But it's lame to hear it 4 times a day on each consecutive day for 3 days in a row. That's 12 times in just 3 days. Beck has LOTS of good songs, there's absolutely no good reason (besides payola kinds of situations) for them to play just ONE Beck song multiple times a day multiple days in a row.

I fully agree. I was completely excited by what I heard on day one. Now I'm suspicious that's all I'm gonna hear. There are a handful of songs I've heard 4+ times now, and that's just with sporadic, as I can listening. Looking through the playlists from the last few days, the number or repeats I haven't caught is large.

Reactions: motulist

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's unique as it's its own station and is the first one from Apple. But it's not some growndbreaking brand new never before seen/heard concept, and I don't think it was ever presented as such, despite people making a lot of assumptions based on some sort of wishful thinking, as they often do when it comes to Apple products and people expecting something unheard of all the time.

Well they did use the term revolutionary at WWDC but I guess that doesn't apply to Beats 1. Though I'm still trying to figure out what's revolutionary about the streaming music service. Because it includes "human curation" as though no one has ever done that before?

1433789858761699.png

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Personally I think that Beats1 *IS* revolutionary, or at least significantly evolutionary... but only parts and elements of it. Like the musician-run show are often completely killed. But the main shows' repeats are one element that is more like traditional radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.