Replace 13" MBP 2008 for New 13" MBP 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by byutuc, Mar 1, 2011.

1. byutuc macrumors newbie

This topic has probably come up so many times. Sorry if I have to post this again and again.

I cannot decide if I should upgrade to the new 13" or top of the line 15"? I have a 2008, 13" MBP and I do video, photo editing. I also enjoy gaming with CSS (Counter-Strike Source) I also use Windows 7 on Parallels 6.0 I currently go to University. I love the portability of the 13", yet I find it slow as gaming tends to lag and sometimes opening applications and multitasking slows everything down. Is it really worth the money to upgrade to the new 13" or top of the line 15"? I will be trading in my current 13" MBP that will be worth $700 at trade in for a new model.

I would appreciate the feedback that people can provide me. Thanks

2. bniu macrumors 6502a

3. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

who is giving you $700 trade-in value for a 3 year old macbook??

4. orangepeel macrumors member

Since you are video editing, get the 15" with the quad processor.

BTW: How/Where are you getting a trade in? If you don't mind me asking.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much RAM do you have in your current MBP? Might be worth it to max it out first, especially if you're experiencing issues when multitasking. If you're upgrading, definitely go for the 15"

6. byutuc thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 4 GB of ram in my MBP. I also am running a 160 GB Intel SSD which is awesome. When I play CSS I only have it on medium settings, sometimes low. I know my 13" is on board GPU and it sux. I had the 1st gen 15" MBP with Radeon X1600 which was even worse. I just want to be able to do some intense gaming once in a while that my FPS would not drop because my video card cannot handle it. I thought of getting a desktop for my gaming, but I prefer to have the portability. I need more replies please! I just don't want to make the right purchase without having to regret it.

My trade in of $700 is based by a company here where I live. They have a promo saying "bring your old mac and trade for a new one"

7. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Then you're going to be disappointed no matter what Mac laptop you buy

8. -Ken- macrumors regular

Define 'intense gaming' for us.

What game, what resolution and detail settings etc.

9. byutuc thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry everyone for not clarifying intense gaming. Uhmmmm I guess you can say all the newest games out there. possibly WOW, SCII, Source Games, etc...high intensive graphic games. I just want to know if the top of the line 15" AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, be able to handle the newest games on high settings? $2249.00 seems a bit steep price wise. I was hoping the new MBP came with a blueray drive rather then a optical drive. I love the new processors though.

10. -Ken- macrumors regular

I don't think they'll handle it too well on high detail, maybe medium.

11. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It can run it on high, sure, but I don't know if you'll get mind-blwoing framerates, maybe about 30 or so. It will certainly be a lot better than your 13" you have now though. Also, a Blu-Ray drive is an optical drive... I assume you meant the SuperDrive?