Replace 15 inch MPB with 17 inch for study abroad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mariahlullaby, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I currently have a 15 inch MPB (2GB RAM, 2.16 Core 2 Duo) and love it. I've only had it for about a year (a year in December), so I don't want to just immediately switch it up, but I'm considering it for my study abroad next semester, in London.

I run a web design and online marketing business from my dorm and have my 15 inch MPB hooked up to a 23 inch ACD. I will not be bring the ACD to London where I will not have enough room for in the dorms there (they are much smaller) and shipping it will just prove to be a huge pain. I have to pay around $300 by the end of this year anyway to upgrade to Leopard and extend my MPB's warranty, and I'm thinking about just selling it and buying a 17 inch model (hopefully one that's been updated by then) to make up for the fact that I won't have the real estate on my 15 inch, it will come with Leopard, etc. Also, I will write it off as a business expense (am I right in thinking I CANNOT use the educational discount if I buy using my business' credit card?) :

What are your thoughts? Is this worth it to upgrade?

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I dunno.. I'm super happy with the 15" over the 17", especially when I travel. I understand your situation is more of a relocation for a year, but a 17" "portable" never made much sense to me. That's just my take though.