replace 15" Retina bottom plate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by red321red321, Sep 18, 2013.

1. red321red321 macrumors regular

I recently got my six month old 15 Retina replaced due to faulty wifi. The new one I got I have had for less than a month, and the keyboard keys keep popping out. The Apple genius replaced four of the keys that kept popping out, and said he wouldnt do any more. His recommendation was to replace the entire "top plate", which would take 3-5 days.

Should I go ahead with this repair? Or should I ask for an entirely new replacement? Really disappointed in this computer.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Is the battery ok?
    Does everything front and back look flat?
    It's mostly in older ones as far as I'm aware but a swelling battery could cause this I think.

3. red321red321 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, cosmetically it is perfect. My worry is, does replacing the top make any difference? Or should I ask for a complete replacement?

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Your call. I would try to get a complete replacement if I was you, but I'm not so you can decide yourself. At this point its had issues, but probably not enlough for apple to justify a full replacement. If it has any more issues down the road though I would try pretty hard to grt a replacement.

Replacing the top case means replacing the keyboard, battery and trackpad, and the metal body around them. So technically if you got a good replacement it would fix your keyboard issues.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well you can first ask them to replace the entire laptop if that does not work then tell them to replace the top case and if any issue occurs further on then you will settle for nothing more then a replacement.