Replace 1st Gen Macbook with current Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by M3G4, Mar 9, 2009.

1. M3G4 macrumors regular

Hi All,

Currently I'm sporting a 2005 or 1st Generation Macbook 13". It's a Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, BT+AP & Superdrive.

It's currently a desktop replacement. I'm wondering - would it be worth selling this laptop and buying a brand new Mac Mini with the proceeds? Would the performance increase be much bigger?

Thanks!

2. macJC50640 macrumors regular

It depends...

Well, your MacBook has a Core Duo processor, which is still a good processor, but starting to become outdated. The Mac Mini has a Core 2 Duo processor, which you can probably tell by the name its The Mini has 1gb of RAM (base model), and I see your MacBook has 2gb, but I believe the Minis have faster RAM (correct me if I'm wrong) Also, it would be nice to know what you use it for, because the Mini just got updated with Nvidia graphics, as you probably know.

But from what you said, I'd say go ahead and go for the Mini, as your current machine is a desktop replacement anyway.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It entirely depends on what specs you get on the Mini you are replacing it with. Also factor into the price a monitor (if you don't already have one) since that's required for the Mini.

If you do get it, I would go for the base and if you are comfortable with opening it up, giving it at minimum 2 gb of Ram and a 320 Gb (or 500 gb) 7200 rpm hard drive. If you aren't comfortable with opening it up, I would definitely upgrade the Ram and hard drive as well through Apple since those are the Mini's weak points. The 9400m in the Mini will be much much faster than the GMA 950 graphics you currently have in your Macbook too.

With those specs the Mini would fly, but you also have to consider if the price differential with upgrades and a monitor is enough to justify getting the Mini as opposed to a refurb iMac. You don't mention though if you do have a monitor, so I have no way of knowing. Other than those key points, it sounds like a good plan.

Edit: I would mention also that it might benefit you to wait a couple of months if you can until Snow Leopard comes out. Then you'll see an even more significant difference in performance.

4. M3G4 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies :)

Currently I really use my macbook for donkey work - iTunes (big 24GB or so library), iPhoto (big library again, with quite a few Nikon RAW shots) and sometimes Photoshop CS3 and a bit (read: rare) of video work in FCP/iMovie.

Opening it up wouldn't bother me. I've built my own PC's and upgraded all of my laptops (including the macbook, of course!)

I would consider a refurb iMac however they're as rare as hens teeth on the UK Apple Store.. :(

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

By all means the Mac mini will be quite capable of what you describe. If you ever upgrade to CS4, you'll benefit from the improved GPU.

That said, I really have no idea what your mention of big photo library entails, but these machines are very easy to upgrade. (Though seeing you that you said 24GB of music is big, then the base model is adequate).

6. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Your welcome...
    but I just noticed my reply has a little error, when I was talking about the processor. What I meant to say was that you could probably tell by the name "Core 2 Duo" that its better then the "Core Duo". And then I went off into the RAM situation. Just though I'd clear things up here instead of making an edit which you might not see. :)

7. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The Core Duo is based on the pentium m, so the difference between it and core 2 will be very large.

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I am going to disagree a little with everyone here. Doing what you do with a machine, you will see a performance gain, but not enough of one to justify the expense. Unless money is not an object, I'd say wait it out until your machine will not support what you want to do with it.

9. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I actually agree. Even the old ibook g4's are still quite snappy in regular tasks.

10. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Does your current rig meet your purposes; i.e., does it do what you need it to do? If so, keep your macbook until it no longer does what you need it to do, or it breaks.

If you're using it for professional purposes, where every lost processor cycle is costing you money, and you can write the new machine off of your taxes, then get the new machine. If this is not the case, see previous paragraph.