Replace 2.66Mhz i7 internals with 2011 macbook pro internals

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by branjosef, Apr 13, 2011.

1. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Apologize if there is a thread on this. I did a search but didn't find anything.

Anyone have any thoughts on the possibility of replacing the internals in a late 2010 model 15" unibody macbook pro with the internals from the new versions released? (Essentially replace to get the new sandy bridge equivalent of whatever you have)

I know in the past with Apple, while the outsides tend to look the same after an update, the insides have changed and the screws align differently and such. Does anyone know if they did that this time? I can't really find anything that definitively says so or not. The only thing I know for sure that changed was the addition of the little thunderbolt logo to the casing.

I have a 2.66mhz i7 15" macbook pro that I bought last october. I couldn't wait for the updates that were coming because I needed a laptop asap after my original one was stolen from my office while I was teaching a class. I like my laptop. It works fine, but I was just wondering. :cool:

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

why would you do this? the cost just to get the parts (I doubt there are many used logicboards from a new 2011 yet) would cost more than what you would pay by selling your current one and buying a new one.

3. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I concur with HBOC. Why would you do such a thing? Just sell your current one and buy a new one. Or don't, as you probably won't have as many problems with your model that I've had with my 2011. =)

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

And also, you wouldn't be eligible for AppleCare I would believe. Could you imagine the techs' face when he opens up the computer? :)

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, it may be possible, but it would be difficult, easy to break stuff and more expensive than selling and buying new.