Replace 2008 Mac Pro with 15" MBP and mini?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adr1974, Mar 1, 2011.

1. adr1974 macrumors regular

So I bought a 2008 Mac Pro a few years ago, and it’s been great. At the time, I was relatively new to Mac, and I thought I’d make good use of all of the expansion capabilities. I use it for a fair bit of encoding, work (mostly excel), and the typical email, internet, etc. I’ve upgraded the hard drives, the memory (now at 8 GB), the graphics card (ATI 5870), and I’ve put in a blu-ray burner. I also use it to house my iTunes library, which I stream through my house with Apple TVs. When I travel I use my 13” MBP. I was thinking about selling my Mac Pro and replacing it with a 15” MBP and then picking up a used mini to house my iTunes library. Doing so would give me a better option for my iTunes library (less draw to perpetually run a mini than a Mac Pro), and would allow me to consolidate my work/travel computer while still giving me most of the performance I currently have. While I give up a fair bit of expansion ability, I think that: 1. 8 gb is probably more than I need 2. I’ll pick up some type of lightpeak array when available and 3. I don’t really make good use of the graphics card anyways. Final comment: I definitely like tech, gadgets, etc, and I think it’s easier to buy/sell MacBook Pros than Mac Pros.

Struggling a little bit with the decision – don’t want to have buyer’s remorse after getting rid of my Mac Pro. Thoughts, comments, appreciated.

2. rareflares macrumors regular

I'm actually in a very similar situation.

I have not even remotely used the full capabilities of my Mac Pro and hence will definitely not miss the power. I do sincerely miss portability though and I am thinking of selling my 2008 Mac Pro 8-core for a quad-core MBP.

3. adr1974 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah -- I really don't think I'll miss the power either (though given the current performance of the quads in the MBP, I'm not sure I'd really be giving all that much).