Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirky1234

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Keep the 2012 Macbook. I'm a pro user and upgraded to the 2018 model, cause I need every bit of power I can get. Besides the welcome power upgrade, I still feel the retina Macbooks are the best Apple ever made. Everything about it is right. Power, RAM, SSD, Ports, Weight, Keyboard, no annoying Touchbar. For consumer usage, this is a no brainer. Keep the 2012 model until it dies on you.

Reactions: Fishrrman

nerowolfe19

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2018
I have the exact rMBP sans a slightly faster cpu (2.6) and I'm holding to it with a death grip. I don't like the new KB layout and the larger trackpad feels tacky and pointless. Apple should've either made it support Apple pen or incorporated touchbar tech in it to justify its taking that much space, IMO. Touchbar feels out of place replacing the actual function keys, above them might have been more tolerable but eh, whatever.

Like others have mentioned, having two computers with different strengths beats having just one (incidentally potentially problematic because of new tech) laptop.

Besides. For a college student, having to deal with repairs/replacements is a major pain. I've replaced the battery recently with a DIY solution, it took $60 and half an hour of my time. You could do that too.

It's your money in the end, do what's best for you.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
If I intended to keep the rMBP I wouldn't have bothered posting.
Telling me that a $300 Acer (that doesn't exist) is suitable for my needs is neither helpful nor related to what I asked.
Why are you being hostile over other people offering their opinion? Your post is ended with a question mark so people assume you are asking if it is worth it to upgrade, and you end your question with a “what would you do?”. No offense but if you aren’t willing to hear other’s opinions then we can’t help you much here.

I was going to offer my personal advice on here as well, but apparently advice isn’t what you are looking for. All I will say is many of the other individuals who’ve commented here actually have good advice.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
OP went as far as whitewashing the original title of the thread - "What would you do?"

I think a friendly Mod may have reinstated something descriptive. Anyway, OP flounced off in a huff for not having his carefully thought out plan validated.

KK20XX

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
japan
Why are you being hostile over other people offering their opinion? Your post is ended with a question mark so people assume you are asking if it is worth it to upgrade, and you end your question with a “what would you do?”. No offense but if you aren’t willing to hear other’s opinions then we can’t help you much here.

I was going to offer my personal advice on here as well, but apparently advice isn’t what you are looking for. All I will say is many of the other individuals who’ve commented here actually have good advice.

read all of your peoples comments,I decide to by a 2012 mbp15 by 300$,and replace the HDD to SSD ,meybe a 16G memory as well as.

thanks all your advice.

forgive my broken English.

Reactions: Painter2002

nerowolfe19

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2018
Apple should've either made it support Apple pen or incorporated touchbar tech in it to justify its taking that much space, IMO. Touchbar feels out of place replacing the actual function keys, above them might have been more tolerable but eh, whatever.

Aaaand it's already happening. Take note, Apple.

nerowolfe19

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2018
This could be made useful, although I think the appearance and usability could be improved on.
Yeah it's smallish in size, with odd dimensions (16:9) for a trackpad, and software support and polish is a wait-and-see affair. But, out of the box it's plenty useful if for no other reason than it being a handy secondary touch display.

Battery consumption is a also question mark, though it can be turned off with thre press of a botton. Another caveat would be the screen being tied to trackpad use/damage/repair and vice-versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.