Replace a dangling BlackBook delete key?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulyras, Aug 17, 2007.

1. paulyras macrumors 6502

Hi all,

The delete key on my old, non-applecare black mb is loose, and is barely attached. It appears to be that the little plastic clamps on the back of the key cap itself are broken, and the underlying key components (the metal bar and the plastic part below) are intact. Does anyone know of a good place to pick up a replacement, or would you recommend going to an apple store?

I can imagine going to the apple store will be much more expensive than picking up a key online. There are a couple of places that appear to have them, but I have no experience with any of the vendors, so any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I don't know if Apple would do it out of warrantee, but I think they might. I bet eBay might sell you a bag of keys or something... maybe a watered MB, dunno, but it's worth it.

3. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

Yeah, I would try and find a key off eBay. Probably the cheapest way to go!

- Daniel

4. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Finding a key on eBay is definitely an option. I've seen them go for $5-12 per key. This isn't a guarantee but I've had luck just going into the Apple Store and asking for a replacement key. Maybe it's because I'm a girl or maybe I went in on a good day, but I've had the Geniuses replace my missing or broken keys on the spot for free. Haha.

5. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Never had the delete key fall off but the "L" key has fallen off like 3 times (apparently I have a strong left ring finger) in a similar manner. Each time, took it to Genuis bar, get it replaced, and they don't even check if I have AppleCare. It only takes your time.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless I've gotten the geniuses that swing the other way, they do it for everyone.

6. paulyras thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts. I think I'll try the genius bar, and bat my eyes a little. ;)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Paul