Replace Airport/Bluetooth Card

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hey guys, I have an early 2011 MBP with i7, ssd, 16gb of ram. So it's still plenty powerful for my occasional needs.

GPU died. Apple replaced entire logic board, even gave me a new battery. Sweet!

Got it back and a month later wifi died. Apple told me to piss off if I wanted anything else free. Also told me if I wanted wifi to work I'd need a whole new logic board for $700.

Then I found this: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+AirPort-Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/5886

A wifi/bluetooth board/cable replacement!!!!!!! Yay!

So will that fix it? Or was Apple right and I need a whole new logic board? Thanks!

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
In the comments in the link you supplied, it looks like several of the posters couldn't get their replacement Wi-Fi card to work. So buyer beware. There's also a comment that starts "I recently replaced" where the poster said just tightening things up made the card work again. I don't know if Apple would have taken your old Wi-Fi card and used it in the replacement motherboard. If you know what your original Wi-Fi MAC address was, you could compare it with what you have now. It could be that they weren't careful in replacing the Wi-Fi card so checking the connections may help and it looks like there's quite a few connection points to worry about. In any case, you might want to check that before buying a replacement.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
In case anyone ever finds this thread, if you're having the same problem, I wouldn't recommend replacing the wifi/bluetooth board. So in my case, the bluetooth works, but the wifi does not. Like many others, my wifi icon has an X in it, and when you mouse over it, you see that the hardware is not installed. It is installed of course, but the logic board is not picking it up. I replaced the wifi card and cable, as sold by ifixit, and unfortunately that didn't fix my problem. An Apple genius told me I needed a whole new logic board and I guess he was right. From my point of view, it was worth $60 in ifixit parts to see if I could fix the wifi. But like I said, it didn't work. So don't waste the time and money. If your bluetooth works but your wifi doesn't, you probably need a new logic board.