Replace Aluminum Macbook? Help Please!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nyzballa12, Jul 8, 2009.

1. nyzballa12 macrumors member

Hello, I have many problems with my Base Aluminum Macbook that I bought back in November of 2008. I have the Applecare extended warranty on it currently. I've had a few problems which are:
    1. On the power cord where the magsafe cord connects into the macbook, the white insulation has been frayed. Before, I had to wiggly the power cord a bit for it to charge my macbook. Also, the power brick runs extremely hot, to a point where I cannot pick it up with my hand. Will apple replace my power cord/power supply?
    2. The battery doesn't hold a charge as it used to. Now a full charge quickly depletes, even if I leave the computer unattended. Will apple replace my battery?
    3. I've also had a few problems with my macbook itself. Periodically, the battery is abundantly charges (50% or more) and while I'm using my macbook, it shuts off and restarts itself. Also, some of my keys on my keyboard are slanted, crooked, and unaligned. In addition, my trackpad sometimes freaks out with a mind of its own. Sometimes it moves in jerks instead of a smooth movement, and sometimes it jumps across the screen. Will apple replace my macbook?

Thank you for any help! :)

:apple:

2. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

You'll probably get a new magsafe. And probably a new battery, I'd phone up applecare and see if they can fully diagnose the problem regarding shutting down and restarting, have you run software update?
    I recall apple releasing some sort of firmware update for the UMBs regarding the trackpad.

Did your MB come with slanted keys? I would of asked for a replacement soon after opening the box

EDIT, here's the updates I can find regarding your UMB:
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/Battery_Update_1_4
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacBook_EFI_Firmware_Update_1_3
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacBook_SMC_Firmware_Update_1_2

you might of already updated though...

To be honest I would phone apple soon and ask for a replacement, then sell that and get a 13" MBP instead :D

3. nyzballa12 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm running the latest update (10.5.7) and I always update my macbook as soon the software update popups.

Do you think they would give me a new magsafe/battery with no questions asked?

And yes it did come with slanted keys, most of the Function keys at the tops are slanted and so are some others, but I was so excited that I never got around to returning it. :( Would they still give me an exchange?

EDIT: That's a good idea! :D Would they give me a replacement over the phone? or would I have to go in to the store?

4. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

I remember reading an article on Apple replacing frayed magsafe chargers, I'll see if I can find it. You are under warranty still so probably.
    When the UMBs were first released there was a swarm of post about the slanted keys, most of them resulted in a replacement, although this was several days after they had been purchased.

Here's the article: http://gizmodo.com/5039036/apple-magsafe-replacements-are-now-free

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You most likely won't get a 13" MBP replacement.

You'll send yours in for service and they'll replace the defective/warranty covered issues and send you back your computer.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'm no electricity expert, but it sounds like the power brick has a short.

7. nyzballa12 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the article! :D That's exactly how my power cord looks like. I feel reassured that they'll fix atleast one problem without me shelling out any cash.

8. nyzballa12 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I figured I wouldn't get a brand new one. :(

I just can't wait to go through the whole refurbishment process. It takes too long for me, since I need to use my macbook on a daily basis for school. If I take it into an apple store, would they give me a replacement on the spot? The apple store is rather far from here and I would hate to have to leave my macbook there for tests, fixing, etc.

9. nyzballa12 thread starter macrumors member

I just got off the phone with apple, they set up a genius bar appointment and told me replace the power cord and battery should be done easily. They told me the other issues may take some time and I have to take it in for them to see it.

Anyone know what the process is if I have to get it replaced at the Apple Store?

10. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

If it's just a stock configuration i.e you didn't add more ram or a bigger HDD on the Apple online store, and depending on wether they have any UMBs at your Apple store (probably unlikely) you might a straight swap.

I wouldn't hold your breath though.

11. caonimadebi macrumors regular

You probably won't be able to have it replaced when you go in. Apple will attempt to repair it (they'll have to send it in) many times before they'll consider a replacement for you. When you go into the genius bar, just be sure to detail every problem you have, and hope that it comes back like new.

12. 5280m macrumors member

I got my unibody macbook from november swapped for a piece of debris under the screen.

13. nyzballa12 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys, I'm just hoping for a problem free, refurbished uMB at the least. It is a stock configuration, hopefully they have in stock. :D I really can't afford to not have my macbook. Would they give me a loaner or something like that to use during the time they have my macbook?

My appointment is on Saturday, wish me luck! :D

14. nyzballa12 thread starter macrumors member

Did you get it swapped recently? Or when you bought it?

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You seriously expect a loaner from Apple? :rolleyes:

16. nyzballa12 thread starter macrumors member

lol, no. I don't know how to say it. But just like what I was basically asking was: Do they really leave you macbook less for a week? :p

17. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You'll definitely be without your MB for at least a week and most of that time will probably be spent sitting there, not being fixed.

18. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It had to be within 14 days. Otherwise, they only replace the machine after 3 repair attempts for the same issue. Good luck, I hope you get everything fixed!

19. nyzballa12 thread starter macrumors member

:(

Thanks for the words of encouragement :D

Aha. jk.

I'm not sure I want to send it in now. :confused:

20. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Have you considered just sending your computer to AppleCare directly? This may be a better option for you considering it takes longer for the stores to repair the computers and most of the time they send them there regardless.

When I sent my old PowerBook to AppleCare in December, it was repaired the same day it got there and was sent back. Didn't even take a week.

21. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

How about this... Call AppleCare.

They overnight a box, and your machine can come back in less than a week.

What you describe all sounds like stuff Apple will take care of, without replacing your machine.

22. 5280m macrumors member

i got a new one with the "silent" updates on monday morning. if you are nice about it and you have legitimate defects and the store has a bunch of unibody macbooks in stock you may have a chance at a replacement.