Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Hi all, Im looking if anyone knows of a setting somewhere in osx or an app that moves replaced items to trash instead of straight-out deleting them.

My issue is:
When you move an item into a folder where an item with the same name and file format already exists, you get the option to 'keep both' 'stop' or 'replace'. Selecting replace removes the item that was there and inserts the new file. The problem being the removed file is completely gone. I think this is potentially risky if I replace a file I didn't mean too and it gets ejected into the osx ether never to be seen again.

thanks in advance.

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
There is no way to do that I'm aware of.

This is where Time Machine might be a saving grace and you could go back to a time before you replaced the file (as long as you haven't changed the file multiple times between hourly Time Machine updates.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
This is where Time Machine might be a saving grace
I do have time machine setup but I didn't want to rely on this for the reason you stated.

I can't see it being a hard application to write if any developers are reading this. Just have it so when you click replace it drops the replaced items into trash before the import then inserts the new ones... how hard can it be?

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014
As I know, there is no a setting for your need in OS X, and I don't know whether there is a third-party software to do this.

Replace means the destination file will be rewritten by new file. Yeah, if some one can send the destination file to trash or somewhere else when you replacing, you can restore it when you need. But who can do this?:D

For your fear, you can choose 'keep both' option to avoid potential risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.